Sign in to follow this  

Pipe for my 2007 yz250f

Im a woods rider and im looking to get more bottom end and torque out of my 2007 yz250f i have a quickshot3 and am looking into a pipe what one would add most bottom end im under a budget and only can afford a slip on but hoping to soon get a full system and i was thinking the fmf 4.1 or a DR.D

does your bike still have stock gearing drop one tooth on the drive sprocket and it will make a big differance

PETE

I dont have any experiance with Dr D but know that he tests a lot of stuff for Yamaha. Dont think you could go wrong there. For what I have experiance with: Pro Circuit ti 4 seems to help on the top end, FMF 4.1 seems to be better for low to mid, and my favorite tested so far is the Yoshi exhaust system. It has more power all the way through from top to bottom. Just my .02 :banana:

does your bike still have stock gearing drop one tooth on the drive sprocket and it will make a big differance

PETE

I know you are looking for a pipe, but don't waste your money.

Change your gearing (I went to a 50 rear sprocket) or add a set of hotcams

I went with a Dr. D on my 07 mainly because it comes with a spark arrestor and it's easily removably. They're required for racing hare scrambles by my sanctioning body so it was pretty much a no brainer, oh and the cost helped as well.

Seriously, one of the best pipes made is the stocker. If you are on a budget, don't even consider a pipe. (I'd suggest keep the $ for tires/mtce. The number of people riding bike with expensive pipes and half bald tires is nuts)

Of course pipes are cool! (just bad value performance wise)

Do you think, that if simply making a pipe a different shape/size/design was UNIVERSALLY better, Yamaha wouldn't do it?

Do you think, that if simply making a pipe a different shape/size/design was UNIVERSALLY better, Yamaha wouldn't do it?

Pipes are great for performance tuning and increase. Yamaha creates a pipe for how they feel the bike needs to be tuned for the broad customers. They particularly tuned the pipe in 08 and 09 for bottom end torque but this left the top end very short compared to the other manufacturers. Using after market pipes allows the rider to tune the horsepower and torque to the riders preferences and riding style, and can give a big boost to the top end.

I am surprised by your statement. You apperently have not looked at the many dyno charts comparing stock to after market pipes, or ridden a bike going from stock to after market pipe. There are hugh gains to be had!

I agree. Dynos have demonstrated improved performance with aftermarket exhaust systems relative to the de-restricted stock systems. In addition, you can save 1 - 2 lbs of weight with some of the lighter exhaust systems. You can't go wrong with any of the sytems mentioned above. I have a FMF Factory 4.1 Carbon muffler with Ti midpipe and Ti PowerBomb header. Expensive? Yes. Great Performance? Yes. Sounds great? Yes. Looks good? Yes. Lightweight? Yes. Spark Arrestor? Yes. Good quality? Yes. Would I buy it again? Absolutely. :banana:

I agree. Dynos have demonstrated improved performance with aftermarket exhaust systems relative to the de-restricted stock systems. In addition, you can save 1 - 2 lbs of weight with some of the lighter exhaust systems. You can't go wrong with any of the sytems mentioned above. I have a FMF Factory 4.1 Carbon muffler with Ti midpipe and Ti PowerBomb header. Expensive? Yes. Great Performance? Yes. Sounds great? Yes. Looks good? Yes. Lightweight? Yes. Spark Arrestor? Yes. Good quality? Yes. Would I buy it again? Absolutely. :banana:

But how do you really feel about it?

I am surprised by your statement. You apperently have not looked at the many dyno charts comparing stock to after market pipes, or ridden a bike going from stock to after market pipe. There are hugh gains to be had!

Lot’s of the Dyno graphs are questionable at best. The ones I put the most belief in were the ones I paid for, on the same dyno, on the same day, with the same O2 probe.

If I were an honest pipe manufacturer I’d dyno the stock bike with a heavily oiled air filter on the hottest most humid day I could find. Then I’d fit “my” pipe and a dry filter, jet it to perfection on the coldest, driest part of the day and print the “results”. If I were a dishonest pipe manufacturer.......

On my ’08 I tried: stock and two after market headers, stock and aftermarket muffler with two tuned outlets.

Most combos produced less power than stock over the whole rev range. The best combo – FMF Megabomb header and Rocket muffler with the smallest outlet made small gains (approx 1hp from memory, right at the top)

Lots of people “feel” “huge” (but probably not hugh) gains, because, as you state: The power is moved, ie less midrange and maybe a tiny gain at top makes it “come on” more strongly. Many sound faster too. Also new bikes loosen up significantly after an hour or two. All these factors led me down the garden path.:lol:

I did the above testing after believing the stock pipe was restricting my bike significantly. (PS the stock muffler on Australian/NZ/Euro YZs is, I think more restrictive/quieter than the US versions, at least on some year models)

Aftermarket pipes, especially mufflers can save some weight, look and sound cool.:banana:

• Like 1