Sign in to follow this  

Kx80

There is a KX80 at one of my dealers that's used and up for a decent price, they have a lay-away so all the more to consider it.

It's for my girlfriend, she had her own bike (chinese) that she bought brand new for herself about 3 years ago. I have been riding it up until late last year when I got my own bike (yz250). I left her with a bike that is in complete shambles, it's screwed and can be repaired but I just don't see it being worth the repair costs. Parts alone are going to run me about 400$ and the motor is tired, another 500$ replacement part if it goes.

She's shorter, around 5' so a two stroke 80 would be perfect for her size wise.

She is a amatuer rider, but I really think that she wouldn't be scared with the power that a kx80 can provide, which is actually more than the 250cc chinese pile that I was riding before. Yes, the chinese bike delivered a whoping 15hp, when a two stroke 80 is usually around 18-20hp I believe.

It would be a great starting bike for her, I know it, and the price is lower so I'm not breaking the bank with it.

When I was there I didn't catch the year but I noticed that the rear shock had a reservoir that was not attached to the shock, it was mounted to the frame using a steel braided hose to the shock.

The front forks looked older, it had disk breaks on both ends, and the engine was black in color.

What possible year range would this be? The frame was green in color.

I'll find out more about the bike next week when I go down there, and before I buy it I'll do a full test ride and make sure that everything is ok. Last thing I want is an unsound bike that you can't get parts for anymore.

When I get the exact year maybe you guys could tell me what to watch out for other than the usual bearing issues on older bikes.

I know this is vague, but I'll have more details later during the week.

Thanks for your help.

From my experience putting your girlfriend on a 2 stroke bike may be the end of her ridding days... The powerband does scare some casual riders, enough that they dont want to ride any more. but if she is willing to learn thats great!

the 80cc bikes wernt made recently, i would assume mid 90's.

i agree with hobo99 2 stroke with powerband will probably scare her enough to not wanna ride it.have you considered a bike like xr 100 or drz 125/klx 125,ttr 125 either of them would be good bikes with low maintence