Sign in to follow this  

To hone or not to hone

Just tore down my stock '06 with 60 hours due to some noise from the lower end. The cylinder mics at 3.0320 in 6 different spots exactly, so no egg shape and within spec, but the cross hatch is completely gone. I have read MANY posts on here regarding honing, and I want to freshen up the debate and get a new opinion. Wiseco AND the Kawi manual say don't, but I know many of you think other. If you recommend honing it, which hone do you use? Thanks.

the only reason you'd have to hone it is if you were installing new rings while it's apart, the bore glazes up after about 20 minutes of running (which is what's happened to the cross hatch), a light hone will remove the glaze which will allow new rings to seat into the bore, but that's about it, if you hone it to much you'll start removing nikisil which will ruin it, and reqiure re-plating.

I would use either a brush hone or Scotchbrite to remove the glaze and then install the new piston and rings. I'm not a big fan of the Kawaski Electrofusion plating. IMO it doesn't hold up nearly as well as the usual Nikasil but if the bore measures within spec you will be fine.

So this cylinder is NOT Nikasil? I always that Kawi used it. Anyone ever use the Wiseco Nylon Soft Hone Brush?

Update: For those of you that are interested, I just talked to a Wiseco rep. He said the recommendation for not honing did not pertain to the 4 stroke, only the 2 stroke due to the ports and that a ball hone could chip them. He told me that any correct diameter ball hone, flat flex brush, or the Nylon Soft Hone Brush would adequately remove glaze and put a new cross hatch on. He said you could NOT hurt the Nikasil, it was too hard for a hone.

This may not be news to any of you, but it was to me and it answered my question!

Edited by mbolton

Kawi uses its won Electrofusion coating, it's not the silicon carbide stuff. Quite a bit softer. Use a scotch brite pas (red) to de-glaze it, and put some scratches back in it, then put in a new piston and rings. You'll be good to go as long as the plating isn't worn away anywhere.