Sign in to follow this  

Pilot mix. screw, 1/2 turn out from full seated-is this lean or rich?

2002 XR650R: FMF powerbomb header with Pro Circuit muffler, UNI filter, hole cut in airbox.

After going through the Pilot Mix Screw setup procedures my pilot mix screw ended up only being a 1/2 turn OUT from fully seated. Does this mean my 68 pilot jet is too Rich or too Lean for my bike?

My initial sympton was the thing would not hold it's idle. It was either too high or too low. Yes all cables were operating correctly, choke not ON, etc...etc...

My mind says it's too rich and I should go to a 65 or 65S? Any preference on which?

Edited by mikesbaron

After going through the Pilot Mix Screw setup procedures my pilot mix screw ended up only being a 1/2 turn OUT from fully seated. Does this mean my 68 pilot jet is too Rich or too Lean for my bike?

My initial sympton was the thing would not hold it's idle. It was either too high or too low. Yes all cables were operating correctly, choke not ON, etc...etc...

My mind says it's too rich and I should go to a 65 or 65S? Any preference on which?

Put your model in your sig line,,no idea what your ridin:foul:

If you can screw the screw all the way in and it still runs you are rich,no diff really between a 65 and 65S.i`ve been told they are the same or at least they definately flow the same..

B

If you can screw the screw all the way in and it still runs you are rich,no diff really between a 65 and 65S.i`ve been told they are the same or at least they definately flow the same..

They have the same fuel orifice size, but the air emulsion holes are larger in the "S" pilot jets.

I had a similar experience after uncorking and fitting the 68s pilot. After much experimentation I've finished up with the original 65 back in with the screw 2 1/4 turns out giving better results.

One other change I've made recently is to remove the 'suspect' spring loaded backfire plate from the choke baffle in the carb after reading they can fall off and get eaten by the motor. Unfortunately it's now a bitch to start from cold, 10-12 kicks compared to 2-3 before the mod. Hot starts no problem.

They have the same fuel orifice size, but the air emulsion holes are larger in the "S" pilot jets.

So same flow,,just better atomization HT????????

B

I went to Honda Suzuki in SL today with this part number for a 68S, or so I thought: 99105-MBN-0680

The guy looked it up and told me it was for the 68 and had no idea what the S was about. I told him it has slightly smaller emulsion holes..etc..etc. He looked confused and pulled out his box of jets to show me he only had 68 plains. He said that number I gave only pulled up 68 in the computer.

What's the skinny on getting that 68S?

not trying to divert the thread, but an observation.... like pegscraper, when i removed the spring loaded choke plate flap, my xr650r became much more difficult to kick start - when cold. if it remains so as the weather warms, i am actually thinking of putting it back in. always started before on 1-3 kicks irregardless of cold or hot. now can take several.

i went through the same problem as you did, trying to figure out a PN on that dang thing. I did a forum search and came up with the Honda PN as being a 99105-MBN-0680. while in the dealership, it will come up as a 68 in the computer program but the thread i read will note that when you get it it will in fact be a 68s

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=692768&highlight=68s+pilot+part+number

I ended up buying from XRsonly. Def not very friendly on the phone. Won't be buying from them again. Customer service is actually worth alot to me.

Plus the darn thing shipped was $18! $10 for the jet, apparently made of gold and $8 to ship the thing that only weights .005 of an oz.

I ended up buying from XRsonly. Def not very friendly on the phone. Won't be buying from them again. Customer service is actually worth alot to me.

Plus the darn thing shipped was $18! $10 for the jet, apparently made of gold and $8 to ship the thing that only weights .005 of an oz.