Sign in to follow this  

Causes for Land/ Track closures?

I need to write a cause/effect essay for my english class, so I decided to write it about the causes for land/track closures for off road vehicles across the U.S. I was just wondering if anyone has any useful information or links concerning the cause for open lands and tracks to be closed, such as the increasing noise levels of exhausts, not 'staying the trail', lawsuits for track owners, etc. Anything will help I'm sure! Thanks

Yes, I am aware that the sierra club is pro-closure, but I need information on specific instances where areas have been closed, and for what reason. For example maybe an area of public land was closed due to over erosion from going off trail, or as track is closed due to noise complaints. Also if possible I would like to find the specific guidelines for how loud your bike can be etc.

Modern day four stroke motocross exhausts are a major contributing factor to land closure, that is a well known fact !!!!!!!!

biggest factor here was noise...neighbors filed lawsuit and that was the end of it..too bad..it had 400 acres of woods and trails...if the track was there before new home construction...that seems to help....best bet for new track is far far away from any city or suburb

An area I used to ride, south of Big Sky ski resort, as well as a another area in the Bridger Mountains both were closed in a land swap.

A true &%$#@! named Tim Blixseth used his political connections to coordinate a land swap with Plum Creek Timber for the property south of Big Sky. He proceeded to "develop" a private ski resort (Yellowstone Club) and in the process closed off enormous tracks of bitchin' single track. BTW I hear that the Yellowstone Club is now closed.

Meanwhile, up in the Bridger Mountains, Plum Creek started to develop a logging area using roads, and accesses paid for with tax payer money. Oh yea, incredible trails were now 'posted' due to the logging operations. :banana:

Thanks! great info, keep it comin! However, any direct links to articles/info about these topics is greatly appreciated :banana:

Yes, I am aware that the sierra club is pro-closure, but I need information on specific instances where areas have been closed, and for what reason. For example maybe an area of public land was closed due to over erosion from going off trail, or as track is closed due to noise complaints. Also if possible I would like to find the specific guidelines for how loud your bike can be etc.

No kidding. If I were you I would contact them and tell them what you are doing and researching. They should have all kinds of specific details for you.

MAX!!!

No kidding. If I were you I would contact them and tell them what you are doing and researching. They should have all kinds of specific details for you.

MAX!!!

Alright, Great advice!

Modern day four stroke motocross exhausts are a major contributing factor to land closure, that is a well known fact !!!!!!!!

Theory, not fact. If so, prove it 100% w/o question.

The majority of the time track closures occur when the owner of said track sees dollar signs when they realize how much money they can get to subdivide the peace of property and fill it with mcmansions.

people are horny creatures

IMHO, provide the male pill. Let men decide who they knock up...instant population control. Then we'll have enuff space to ride. Otherwise, we'll screw ourselves out of a place to stand. Nobody wants us to ride in their front and backyard, so we better get control of the population.

Good Luck!

somehow in your closing paragraph using correct MLA standards..i agree..blame it all on 4-strokes..its there fault for sure:thumbsup: never had these problems when we rode 2-strokers

somehow in your closing paragraph using correct MLA standards..i agree..blame it all on 4-strokes..its there fault for sure:thumbsup: never had these problems when we rode 2-strokers

dont you mean 2 smokers?

yeah, because im sure that thick white cloud when you start, and ride your 2 smoke surely cant be good for en environment, I wouldnt be surprised if 2 smokes were the true cause of global warming!

how about all the premix oil you guys burn? dont know about you, but our 4 strokes arent burning any oil :banana:

Great example! How about starting with the hells angels in 1950 and bike riders in usa have been hated ever since ...

I retied in the Philippines from the usa and bikes rule the roads over here ... add that also to your Grade school \ HS work.

Theory, not fact. If so, prove it 100% w/o question.

The majority of the time track closures occur when the owner of said track sees dollar signs when they realize how much money they can get to subdivide the peace of property and fill it with mcmansions.

100 % fact, we just lost a riding track here due to noise

the government ORV trail closures here were due to erosion

The Granite Mountain OHV are was closed in Scottsdale AZ last year. I am sure there were several factors involved which I am certain had a lot to do with the SQUID factor. Things like the fresh knobbie marks going around all the signs that designated trails as "NO MOTOR VEHICLES" A couple trails skirted right along some rather "STATELY" homesites... consequently had signs designating them as a "COURTESY ZONE" asking you to keep noise and dust down... that was usually where you saw the 2 ass-hats with the loudest exhaust racing back to the truck. The truckloads of Douche-bags who brought 1 bike and 1 LARGE ice chest of beer so they could all take turns carving a track in the staging area in between and around everybody elses truck. You see... this area was on State Land But managed as a multi-use recreation area by the City. By Multi-use... the trail system was shared and designated. Jeeps, Quads, M/C, Mountain Bikes and Equestrians. The truly unfortunate part is that it seems as though the only people who could not follow the rules...were the people with motors... After constant DISREGARD for the posted regulations (Which was fantastic BTW... each staging area had a big posted map, and handheld maps available FREE. The trails were all clearly marked for their intended use, miles and miles of Designated M/C single track) The area was CLOSED TO MOTOR vehicle use under the muse that it was necessary under the EPA's enforcement of PM-10 air quality regulations. PM-10 regulations have to do with particulate matter floating around in the air (Meaning DUST). Mind you...this is a Desert and we do have dust. Bottom line was... the people who didn't follow the rules made us all an extremely easy target... The mountain bikers and Equestrians just LOVE all the trails they got to add to their rides now.... PM-10 regulation was the final nail in the coffin.... but SQUID-TARDATION killed that area, dug the hole and built said coffin... they also handed the city the nails and the hammer...