Sign in to follow this  

New Guy

OK the last new bike I had was a 1989 KX 125 so I have never owned a 4 stroke before. I went and got a new 2007 RM 450. My question is when I start it and let it warm up the pipe turns bright red. Is this normal do 4 strokes run that much hotter?

Yup, do a search and you'll find that this is very common for all competition 4 strokes. Personally, I never let my bike idle for more than a few seconds, when i'm ready to ride I start it and go. I will take it easy for a minute or two but then I go for it.

I personally advise that you do not let it sit and warm up, it's very easy to over heat a bike doing that. Only start it when you are ready to ride.

Argeed. You want it to heat up a little, closer to operating temp, but not to the point of a glowing pipe.

Welcome, by the way! There is a ton of good info in here and some great minds. Pretty much any basic answer you might need about your bike can be found by searching but don't hesitate to ask away.

let it warm up, you will get a feel for how long is long enough. dont get scared by a glowing header that is not a good way to tell if its overheating. feel the tops of your radiators and when they are getting warm then go for it its not good to hop on a cold bike and go ride that will cause more damage than having it be warm on a stand

All natural and welcome to the forum.

Welcome and IMO you bought the best year of this bike, pre 07 had internal oil screens, 08 got bad, but fixed engines. 09-10 are FI and a lot heavier. My carb works fine. Is it a RC model?

+1 EFI as absolutely nasty ill never buy a bike without it

I would like to say that, but until they start making 50's, 65's, and 85's with EFI, it will be a longtime before I can say that.:banana:

I would like to say that, but until they start making 50's, 65's, and 85's with EFI, it will be a longtime before I can say that.:banana:

Thats something I hadn't thought of.. Well Im sticking with it, I wont buy one without it I got awhile before I worry about that though!

Hi Ive just got a Full enduro road legal spec 06 Rmz 450 with only 50 miles on the clock. Its like new, i have a few questions for you all. Does anyone know if there's an auto cam tensioner or has anyone fitted one. Is there anything to keep an eye on, and can anyone tell how often you replace your engine oil. Ive been around bikes for a long time but never owned a suzuki before.