Sign in to follow this  

Cam chain tensioner operation

Chasing down a tapping/rattling/vibration... Just removed the tensioner assembly. How does this operate? It retracts all the way when turned with a screwdriver, then springs all the way out when screw driver is released. That part looks fine. Should the plunger be able to be pushed back in at all? Mine does not go back in at all when pushing on it. Is this normal?

Edit:

It's an '07 if that matters.

Actually, I searched and searched and didn't see anything, but then a "similar thread" listed below leads me to believe my tensioner is working fine. What fails on these? I could see if it is not supposed to be retracted unless spring tension is removed with a screwdriver, but if the ratchet mechanism fails allowing tension to change all the time to cause a problem.

I have 100 hours on the tensionser (original) so I guess it couldn't hurt anything, but I just don't see how this could cause a noise. Valves are in spec and piston and cam chain were replaced 25 hours ago.

Brian, sounds like your tensioner is fine. tensioner will move it you push it but you have to push really hard but don't. Just think how much power the 450 has probably more than you trying to push it by hand. whack the throttle and the chain in under alot tension so it will move slighly.It was the 03 that had a bad tensioner but it would not hurt to put in a manual one. If the tensioner goes so does your engine. I have read about many people putting in manual ones just to be safe. Good luck

Thanks, I thought it looked like it was working fine too. I will do a valve check and make sure everything looks normal today (I've read of cam sprockets coming loose so I'll certainly check that). Noise could be from water pump area, so I will probably open that up and have a peek. If I don't find anything and it still sounds the same I will take a video and post it up on here.

Does the noise get quieter when you pull the clutch in while in neutral?

If you can't find it with those basics, pull the right side cover with waterpump off, and check the roller bearing on the balancer shaft. Mine went to hell and took the balancer shaft and needle bearing on the other side with it too. If it is the prob and you catch it in time its only 5-6 bucks to fix. if not caught in time its almost $200. good luck.