Sign in to follow this  

kx250f rebild Qs.

guys, i have 73.5 hours on my 09 kx250f and i have not rebuilt it yet, everything is stock and the bike runs great, i just got it out of the basement since spring is right around the corner. like i said the bike runs great, starts 1-3 kicks cold and 1-2 hot. no exxsive smoke or anything and (knock on wood) i have not had to shim the valves, and they have not moved at all since i got the bike new. im planning a full rebuild sometime this summer/spring around 130 hours, piston/rings/valves/and new seats. my quistion is, if i went with stainless steel valves, what all do i NEED for them, i know heavier springs, but wehat else? thanks.

ok well it says 425 for a 4-valve head, and thats mine. so the 425$ and how much am i looking at in a OEM comp. JE piston/rings/gaskets?

about $150ish for the piston/ring/wristpin and another $25ish for a gasket set.

that's what was so nice about the 2 strokes. you could do a full top end rebuild including a brand new head for $250

Why rebuild if notingswrong. If you maintain it good u can see things start to occur before catastrophic things happen.

well im figuring it up now for around 130 hours, i only have 73.5 on the bike right now. im gonna hold it out for as long as i can till i have to have it done, im not doing it RIght now.

+1 For Dave at MXTime. he did mine last fall. It was $425 for the complete top end, plus $35 to shim the valves (so it's drop and go)

I'd also replace the cam chain while you have it open, he got me one for $35ish.

ok kool, i might go with his SS set up and springs, when i rebuild it im repalcing everything. valves/seals/piston/rings/cam chain.

i just changed my piston over the winter with around 50-60hours and there was some wear on the sides with some blowby. and it started to wear the cylinder had to hone it.75 hours i would do the piston now and worry about the valves in another 75 hours. the kawi valves hold up good.