Sign in to follow this  

Colorado WATKINS MX track.

I am wondering how to jump the large table at Watkins. I don't know what gear to hit it in. My bike is geared a little high and i feel comfortable in 4th. But it has such a short take off and i don't want to F it up and kill my self. Any advice would help.

Hey Rynlar,

You might find this thread from a while back helpful:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784988&highlight=

I'd recommend letting the speed come naturally. People have been killed by attempting jumps that are out of their comfort zone, and the large table (Big Al) at Watkins is no exception. Speed comes from the fundamentals and cornering, not from clearing the jumps. Work your way up to it, and you'll eventually get a "feel" for what speed you need to clear it.

If there are any pro riders out at the track who are clearing it consistently, it can help to pace them to get a feel for how fast they're hitting it. Just make sure you trust the rider, keep your distance, and don't follow the same line.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Watch riders and find out who is making it clean consistently. Then I would get out on the track and pace that rider. If you aren't able to keep up with that rider on the rest of the track by pacing them, then I would pass on Big Al for a bit. If you are able to keep pace with that rider, do just that on the jumps. Match his/her speed etc.

But I would also listen to CRSpeedy, no joke with crashing at those speeds....

I would say it's 25-30 foot longer than the table at IMI. Maybe not but it feels that way. I think that some one measured IMI's table before the finish at 60+ feet from peak to peak but I'm not sure.

I think that Big all would be easier for the most part. Well as far as getting the speed up to jump it.

You are set up after that 90 degree corner to really rail the outside and get on it. I've never cleared big all before. I've come close but never jumped it clean. I always just let off before the jump. The large table at IMI can be hard at times because the approach can get pretty whopped out from all the acceleration and that 180 degree turn is not as easy to really fly threw as the high banked 90 before big all.

Ive prolly been 80% across Big Al but I dont want to Endo. The take off is what worries me, its so short.

dont let off on the face of the jump it will make u endo because its so abrupt. if you can clear the whole camel back, or the left side of the split lane section then u can do the big table.

The neat thing about Watkins is all the tables. You can try jumping the first half of Big Al and then work your way to the end. But I really agree with what folks are saying about corner speed.

If you want to be fast clearing big al won't do it. Cornering will. If your corners are great, and fast and this is the only obstacle you aren't clearing, then go for it. If you can work on technique and speed somewhere else that is safer then I would do that.

I've never tried Big Al, the whole risk/reward thing, isn't worth it. I would rather rail a corner faster than ever then be carried off in a helicopter. Plus I really don't like how high it throws you.

I am wondering how to jump the large table at Watkins. I don't know what gear to hit it in. My bike is geared a little high and i feel comfortable in 4th. But it has such a short take off and i don't want to F it up and kill my self. Any advice would help.

I measured it with a 100' tape and was surprised to have to break tape, it was between 110' - 115' peak to peak. I used to think it was around 90' but the tape does not lie, its BIG! The short take off sketches me out as well. Maybe this year.....

I was up at IMI two weekends ago, did the table before the finish line for the first time... paced a buddy on his 250SX. The best I could figure it out for comfort. I was not worried about the speed as the 450 can get it up fast. The part that worried me was jumpping to far down the back side. I saw someone do that and :lol: huge yard sale.......

I think BIG AL is easier to practice on personally, other then getting 80% of distance hurts on the landings :banana: There is plenty of room for speed prior to the take off for BIG AL that is for sure.

Honestly last weekend on Saturday I think only 3 maybe 4 at the most were jumping it and I would say there was at least 50-60 riders.