shifter linkage

Hey there, I picked up an 06 back in October for a steal of a deal and got to ride it 2 times before the snow fell. Today we studded up and hit the trails but about 1/2 hour in I tried to shift into neutral at a stop and it would not go. I heard a bit of a grinding sound when I released the clutch (not bad though) and then the bike was unable to shift.

It is in second gear and there is still spring action up and down but nothing engages. The bike rides fine I just could not change gears (called it a day).

Has this happened to anyone else. Is the linkage accessable from just behind the clutch ect or will I have to dig into the engine.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

Hey there, I picked up an 06 back in October for a steal of a deal and got to ride it 2 times before the snow fell. Today we studded up and hit the trails but about 1/2 hour in I tried to shift into neutral at a stop and it would not go. I heard a bit of a grinding sound when I released the clutch (not bad though) and then the bike was unable to shift.

It is in second gear and there is still spring action up and down but nothing engages. The bike rides fine I just could not change gears (called it a day).

Has this happened to anyone else. Is the linkage accessable from just behind the clutch ect or will I have to dig into the engine.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

EASY fix man i have an 06 also and i had a lil get off last summer and i couldnt get neutral or any gear past 2nd gear. Tear ur clutch cover off and pull the clutch apart and behind that u will a linkage arm that has a groove in itand actually engages the shifts runs all the way across to ur shifter sounds like it cracked just like mine did mine had a million little pressure cracks in it and one big break so idk if this was all from one impact or just from over time. Bout 30 some dollar part and u should be good to go put her all back together and rip

Hey there, so I found at least part of my problem. This part is off the end of the shaft. I got held up as I did not have a big enough socket to get the clutch basket off. Tonight I will be able to see if there is any other damage.

While it was apart i took out the oil screen and was a little shocked to find this many metal shavings and tiny pieces. A little scarry.

Sorry for the fuzy pics.

004_1.jpg

005_2.jpg

EASY fix man i have an 06 also and i had a lil get off last summer and i couldnt get neutral or any gear past 2nd gear. Tear ur clutch cover off and pull the clutch apart and behind that u will a linkage arm that has a groove in itand actually engages the shifts runs all the way across to ur shifter sounds like it cracked just like mine did mine had a million little pressure cracks in it and one big break so idk if this was all from one impact or just from over time. Bout 30 some dollar part and u should be good to go put her all back together and rip

thats the exact same problem except min actualy broke off. I got it apart and ordered up a new shaft. At one of the breaks I noticed that is was bright blue (like from excessive heat) and when I got the shaft out I realized that the heat was from where the arm is welded to the shaft. Maybe too much heat weakened the metal or something.

Anything else I should do while it is apart other then check the torque on the detent nut.

Also, so you guys change the gaskets whenever you remove covers etc? Or reuse them a couple of times.

Thanks

thats the exact same problem except min actualy broke off. I got it apart and ordered up a new shaft. At one of the breaks I noticed that is was bright blue (like from excessive heat) and when I got the shaft out I realized that the heat was from where the arm is welded to the shaft. Maybe too much heat weakened the metal or something.

Anything else I should do while it is apart other then check the torque on the detent nut.

Also, so you guys change the gaskets whenever you remove covers etc? Or reuse them a couple of times.

Thanks

yea wow this must be a common problem with the 06's then because mine was all blue colored from excessive heat also and even the new shaft you will get in will be all blue from heat so idk i beleive that end peice that broke is magnesium welded to the steel shift shaft but i could be wrong. When u put it back together just manual shift it through all the gears before u put it all back together just to make sure it didnt mess anything else up. Mine was fine so i would assume you would be good to go also but just to save yourself a headache in case