Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha help! yfz 450- 5th gear "slips" when 1/2 way to pinned

Hey guys, I have an odd situation w my yfz450. In 5th gear 1/2 way through the gear and while under power, the thing "slips" in and out... no pattern or anything, no gear hitting or grinding. Thought it might be the clutch and springs, so i just installed a high performance clutch and springs... still does it! Any idea before i go pay yamaha to tell me their opinion? thank you.

Gears in your tranny missing some teeth maybe? Any metal in your oil? Clutch cable too tight??

Clutch cable adjusted correctly? Are you running the wrong engine oil? Trans gears missing some teeth? Is there metal in your oil?

How does your rear sprocket look? If it's ok I would go with tech857's suggestions. Either you don't have enough freeplay in the clutch cable or the cable could be binding. If you used an automotive engine oil that is " Energy Conserving " it may have an additive package in it that will cause your clutch to slip.

hey all, thank you for your help. But no, it's not a slipping sprocket, engine oil is clean as a whistle, brand new clutch adjusted correctly, no binding cable, using casteroil 4 stroke oil, no gear clunking in and out. Does anyone think it could be more of an electrical bog (cutting out)? Maybe it seems like a slip but is actually a cutting in and out? ONLY does it in 5th gear at half way through the gear and up....

I read somewhere that the yfz tranny is very strong and haven't heard of anyone breaking it. So it could be an engine perf problem. What mods do you have is your carb clean. Try running with your headlights on. Some of these misfire under certain conditions with the lights off.

well yamaha gave me their verdict..... 5th gear cog is not staying engaged. That sucks..... $2087. That sucks! doesanybody know a performance shop here in so cal that can get that done for less?

you cant do this yourself? You will literally save like 1500 dollars

ok, update rancho cucamunga yamaha quoted 487 for labor and 100-200 for parts. That sounds more like it. I could do it myself but time and tools and f'n something up... i can do 600-700 that comes with a warranty..... Sucks though.... right in glamis season! does anyone have a steering stabilizer on there quad? I need to get one of those... that thing is all over the place.

work done... total with new rings.... $880 out the door. runs great snappy and 5th works fine. The only sign of any problem was the shift fork had a little wear on it. geears were fine. rancho did quick work and so far so good. next week is glamis!.... BTW- i am going to sell it if anyone is interested. Going to get a rzr...