Sign in to follow this  

Utah Anyone been to Moab yet this year??

I'm planning a trip there this weekend the 13th and 14th with some friends from ID and I'm wondering what kind of shape the trails are in. I'm a little worried there is a little snow down there still. Anybody been down there this year yet?

Thanks

I can't believe how much snow is still on the ground. Moab is still covered in a lot of spots. Not in town, but at the trails. A couple more weeks and it should be great.

Regards,

Thomas

I can't believe how much snow is still on the ground. Moab is still covered in a lot of spots. Not in town, but at the trails. A couple more weeks and it should be great.

Regards,

Thomas

Crap, not good. I think we may end up going to the Saint George area now.

Thanks

I think you'll be fine in Moab this weekend. We were there on 2/28 and rode trials on Amasabak and Poison Spider. We will have had some warm weather and rain since then. I'd expect there to be some snow in the shady spots up high but most trails should be ridable. Here's a camera at the 191 bridge that you can scroll forward or backward in time to see the trends. http://oxblue.com/pro/open/utahdot/us191coloradoriverbridge We'll be there this weekend.

EDIT: I just got word from a local trails group who recommended staying on the rock, that the dirt is still muddy. So it looks like we'll be limited to gold spike, amasa, slickrock, etc.

Edited by hrpufinstuff
  • Like 1

I think you'll be fine in Moab this weekend. We were there on 2/28 and rode trials on Amasabak and Poison Spider. We will have had some warm weather and rain since then. I'd expect there to be some snow in the shady spots up high but most trails should be ridable. Here's a camera at the 191 bridge that you can scroll forward or backward in time to see the trends. http://oxblue.com/pro/open/utahdot/us191coloradoriverbridge We'll be there this weekend.

Wow! a camera that can scroll forward in time! What will technology bring us next?

I'm heading there for the week with a friend. We're riding up from Flagstaff on Friday the 12th. Should be around until the 20th or so. We don't have real concrete plans, just going to ride what we can. That will dictate where we end up. Weather should be nice for the week!

Conditions should be good by this weekend unless this rain/snow mix tomorrow is actually snow.

Eh, it will be rain. Maybe a touch of frozen stuff, but dominated by rain. Rain to melt all the snow off the trails. Gotta stay positive! :banana: The only thing that would ruin the trip is if Milt's burger shop wasn't open. I don't know what I would do...

Went riding in the Kane Creek area this afternoon. Amasa Back was clear. The conditions were great. Mostly great traction but in a few corners I'd be used to good traction and the front would push in some soggy stuff. The bottom of Moab Rim and Pritchett were clear as well (not sure higher up though).

Did you ride Kane Creek Canyon? I rode it for the first time last fall. It looked to me like spring runoff could cause lots of problems on that trail.

Well I'm going to give it a shot. I'll let you all know how it was on Sunday.

I don't know if you've done the trail before. If you're doing it North to South you'll get to one point where the trail climbs steeply out of the canyon and it's just one big rock step up after another (looks like a nightmare for a dirtbike). If you turn left here onto a sandy bar there is an ATV trail that bypasses this section of the jeep trail.

Well I'm going to give it a shot. I'll let you all know how it was on Sunday.

Please do! We're likely headed that way 3/20 to find some dry riding. :banana:

Who's been on Pritchett? I'd like to know how far off Kane Creek road you can go before it gets pretty difficult. What else is there back in there besides Hurrah Pass/Chicken Corners?

Thanks!

Please do! We're likely headed that way 3/20 to find some dry riding. :banana:

Who's been on Pritchett? I'd like to know how far off Kane Creek road you can go before it gets pretty difficult. What else is there back in there besides Hurrah Pass/Chicken Corners?

Thanks!

Lockhart Cayon, if you want a real long ride. I think think you can also get to Behind the Rocks from the Pritchett area.

Rode up at Sand Flats today with my GF she cleared Fins-n- Things.:banana: The conditions are great!

Lockhart Cayon, if you want a real long ride. I think think you can also get to Behind the Rocks from the Pritchett area.

True, I haven't done it. There is also Ammasa back and Moab Rim.