Sign in to follow this  

Cracked frame '89 RMX 250

To weld or not to weld!? I bought an 89 RMX 250 and have just recently started to disassemble it. After taking the swingarm off and cleaning tons of filth and grease off of it I found a huge vertical crack in the weld on the backside of the frame tube from just above the footpeg bracket to just below

the swingarm pivot bolt bracket. The lower edge of the crack splits horizontally around toward the front about 90 degrees to about hafway( or facing in toward the engine.I will take pictures tomorrow for more detail.

I just want to know if you guys think this is fixable or if the frame should be destroyed so no one tries to use it?

I do have access to professional welders/ engineers, but they work on airplanes and cars, not motorcycles. I always get good ideas from TT and appreciate every ones input.

Thanks guys. I am off to bed, I will check in on this Monday morning.

I think the airplane guys would be able to weld it. If you could find a race car builder they could repair and gusset if it needed it. Or if it all becomes to much hassle, you could send it out to me, I'll pay the shipping too.

While you have it down , does it look like the frame is twisted or any noticeable flat spots around that area ?

If so it might be a good idea to meticulously check the entire frame for fractures , but if it checks out to be straight and you dont find more major tears , then it can be welded and made sound again , and if it wont interfere with anything , it wont hurt to add a gusset just for peace of mind !