icons new hybrid the (variant)

Remove all Advertisements

all right here we go i just finnely had to say good by to my kbc super x-7 bomber editon undoutably the most best helmet i've ever had for dirt and street moto and i'm looking at this new hybrid maket and want one i reseacherd the afx fx37 and more people against than for it and i like the arai xd3 but is abit out of my price range so this brings me to the icon variant this is a bi***in looking helmet and as far as i can resaerch on you tube this thing apears to be built top notch sooooooooo has anyone used this thing to give an honest review.i've got about 375.00 to spend and i like good quilty built gear i dont like junk i live on my bike.so please any feed back would be greatj.ust a pic of each for ya for comparsion.

the afx fx-37

2009_AFX_FX-37DS_Helmet.jpg

the arai xd

2009_Arai_XD_3_Helmet_Frost_Silver_.jpg

and the icon variant

Icon_Variant-Etched.jpg

I bounced an icon off of the asphalt once in an 80 mph get-off. As far as I know I have no brain damage.

I dont know why you would get off your bike at 80 mph :banana:

Just kidding. I have heard that a helmet the cost 400 bucks has to meet the same standards as one the costs 100 bucks and they both protect well.

OK, I'll try my best here:

- I initially tried the AFX, nice lid, Awesome price, but 3 things made it unwearable for me personally. 1. Slight optical distortion in the shield(this has been pointed out by others) 2. SUPER tight around my ears. 3. The chin strap was too far back for me, very uncomfortable(mentioned in other reviews too).

- Then I bought the Shoei Hornet DS, since I got a great deal. Instantly fell in love. Great quality, shield optics perfect, ears felt great(there's a small cavity for them), and the chin strap was comfortable....great right.

- Then I saw the Icon Variant, that thing is TOO sweet. So I checked one out, had it for a week comparing it to the Shoei before I decided to return it. First off, this helmet is PIMP as hell. Love the lines and overall look. I like the cut-outs on the visor to improve airflow, I REALLY wanted to keep it...but, it was a little tight by my ears(I figured I could maybe mod the liner a bit), super snug on my cheeks, the visor only had 3 positions compared to the Shoei's 5 or 6(with the Shoei I can just crack it open a touch and it will stay open and give GREAT airflow for the real hot weather(good thing)....Lastly, what really made me return the Variant and keep my Hornet was visibility. That was the clincher, the Shoei's visibility is fantastic, while the Variant's isn't bad...it's just not as good. For me anyway, the Shoei was the most comfortable by far of the 3, and the visibility(which was a very important factor to me) was the best of the 3.

- I can't speak on the Aria, but I'm sure it's an excellent, high quality product...just a tad out of my price range.

Hope this helps, and remember these are just one man's opinion.

2008_Shoei_Hornet_DS_Helmet_Crystal.jpg

Edited by unloopme
spelling

I was looking the ICON until my local dealer said they will not be selling ICON since they are not D.O.T SHNELL approved any more

I am looking the ARAI XD has all the approvals seems like a good helmet

in a vid on you tube a bike shop not icon affilated they did a review and the snell sticker is clearly present i look bak and find the web link.

- I initially tried the AFX, nice lid, Awesome price, but 3 things made it unwearable for me personally. 1. Slight optical distortion in the shield(this has been pointed out by others) 2. SUPER tight around my ears. 3. The chin strap was too far back for me, very uncomfortable(mentioned in other reviews too).

- Then I bought the Shoei Hornet DS, since I got a great deal. Instantly fell in love. Great quality, shield optics perfect, ears felt great(there's a small cavity for them), and the chin strap was comfortable....great right.

- Then I saw the Icon Variant, that thing is TOO sweet. So I checked one out, had it for a week comparing it to the Shoei before I decided to return it. First off, this helmet is PIMP as hell. Love the lines and overall look. I like the cut-outs on the visor to improve airflow, I REALLY wanted to keep it...but, it was a little tight by my ears(I figured I could maybe mod the liner a bit), super snug opn my cheeks, the visor only had 3 positions compared to the Shoei's 5 or 6(with the Shoei I can just crack it open a touch and it will stay open and give GREAT airflow for the real hot weather(good thing)....Lastly, what really made me return the Variant and keep my Hornet was visibility. That was the clincher, the Shoei's visibility is fantastic, while the Variant's isn't bad...it's just not as good. For me anyway, the Shoei was the most comfortable by far of the 3, and the visibility(which was a very important factor to me) was the best of the 3.

- I can't speak on the Aria, but I'm sure it's an excellent, high quality product...just a tad out of my price range.

thanks for being honest i have an icon main frame and your right a little tight in the cheeks but for me it is a good fit.

- Then I saw the Icon Variant, that thing is TOO sweet. So I checked one out, had it for a week comparing it to the Shoei before I decided to return it. First off, this helmet is PIMP as hell. Love the lines and overall look. I like the cut-outs on the visor to improve airflow, I REALLY wanted to keep it...but, it was a little tight by my ears(I figured I could maybe mod the liner a bit), super snug on my cheeks, the visor only had 3 positions compared to the Shoei's 5 or 6(with the Shoei I can just crack it open a touch and it will stay open and give GREAT airflow for the real hot weather(good thing)....Lastly, what really made me return the Variant and keep my Hornet was visibility. That was the clincher, the Shoei's visibility is fantastic, while the Variant's isn't bad...it's just not as good. For me anyway, the Shoei was the most comfortable by far of the 3, and the visibility(which was a very important factor to me) was the best of the 3.

You can get different size cheek pieces.

http://www.rideicon.com/product_details.jsp?category=3121&id=11329

• 3 weeks later...

Ok we have all seen the you tube reviews, but now it is time for what I was hoping to see before I bought the helmet.

I just received my Variant 3 days ago and was not sure it is all it is made out to be. On my first ride at 60 mph with a 20 mile head wind, the helmet wanted to lift a lot. Then while riding in a cross wind the helmet wanted to pull my head to the side, twisting on my neck. The helmet jerked my head all around and gave me a sore neck. Then I noticed that you have to tilt the helmet far forward on your head so that the front of the head liner is just above your eyes. Otherwise if the helmet is tilted to far back it will want to rip off your head at speed.

After a couple of days of riding with the Variant, you begin to get use to the tugging side to side. Maybe this is just a trait of a helmet with a visor. (my first for the street)

I have to admit, this is a very modern looking helmet (right out of Halo) and I have received a lot of compliments everywhere I have ridden.

The cheek pads do seem a little tight for me. But I think this is part of the design to keep the helmet tilted forward on your head, so the visor’s air ports can properly channel the air flow. I am thinking of getting the smaller cheek pads, but I am concerned about them being to loose and allowing the helmet to rise allowing the visor to catch the wind.

As for the field of view, it is great. I have very good peripheral view out the sides and I can see my instrument cluster over the full face with out having to look down. I think this is due to the helmet being tilted forward so much. Note the visor is not in your immediate field of view, even tilted forward so much.

This week end (weather permitting) I will go for some longer rides and see if I start getting more use to this helmet.

Right now I am at a 60/40 split on it. 60% being approval.

I just received my Variant 3 days ago and was not sure it is all it is made out to be. On my first ride at 60 mph with a 20 mile head wind, the helmet wanted to lift a lot. Then while riding in a cross wind the helmet wanted to pull my head to the side, twisting on my neck. The helmet jerked my head all around and gave me a sore neck. Then I noticed that you have to tilt the helmet far forward on your head so that the front of the head liner is just above your eyes. Otherwise if the helmet is tilted to far back it will want to rip off your head at speed.

What you describe happening is consistent with my Icon Mainframe, though it probably stays put better than your Variant in cross winds. I also have a Suomy I use on the racetrack in conjunction with my GSXR that doesn't shift around at speed and has a nice, tight fit.

I personally bought the AFX DS-37 and have been liking it so far. Of the three, I have never been a fan of Icon stuff. I feel their drive is more for fashion, rather than rider safety. I am sure the Shoei is a nice safe helmet, but the cost is just too much. There are plenty of other helmet brands out there with the same safety ratings of a Shoei, but cost much less. I am a fan of KBC helmets for my street bikes. This AFX helmet met my needs for comfort, fit, safety and lastly, cost. I have ridden both on road and off road, about half dozen times so far. No issues for me. Vision is perfect. Long neck strap, although odd, not a big deal for me. Its fits nice and tight, so I do not get wind lift...or I get it..somewhat, but only when trying to go faster than 70 MPH, which I almost never do on my DRZ..certainly not offroad. ?

Edited by DougZ

I like the looks of these and think they're cool, and if I were 15 yrs younger I'd probably buy one. But now I'm at the age where form no longer trumps function, and stick to a street only type helmet for the street and a dirt only type helmet and goggles off road. And what I paid for both setups is less than what they want for that helmet.