Sign in to follow this  

Where do I start SM or TE

Trying to make a decision on which platform to start with and the ease of conversion from SM to TE or the opposite. I am a 50/50 road and offroad rider (trails and twisty mountain roads/trackdays) not a commuter. I have pretty much settled on the Husky 510 but would like lessons learned from those that started out with an SM and what had to be done to get it dirt ready. Appears that the 2010 TE and SM are virtually identical with the exception of the wheel/tire sizes and the front brake/suspension items.

I would wait and look at the new TE 630 coming in April. DOHC engine and it's easier to change from TE to SM I'm pretty sure, or at least that's what I'm remembering. Someone will say otherwise if I'm wrong on this. Also pretty sure the TE makes a better street bike than the SM makes a dirt bike.

The radial caliper mount and short swingarm make the SM difficult to convert to dirt. The twice-pipes on the SM are quite a bit heavier and dont have a removeable cat either. The TE is the way to go if you want to convert.

The radial caliper mount and short swingarm make the SM difficult to convert to dirt. The twice-pipes on the SM are quite a bit heavier and dont have a removeable cat either. The TE is the way to go if you want to convert.

Agreed, start with a TE and get a set of SM wheels and a big front brake and you'll be good to go. Think carefully about gearing so you can use the same chain for both SM and off road, I was running 13-50 for off road and 15-42 for SM and had to swap chains which is a PITA. Maybe a 16-47 for SM use so there is the same # of teeth (63) and you don't have to move the chain adjusters, just change front sprockets and plop the wheels in.

Agreed, start with a TE and get a set of SM wheels and a big front brake and you'll be good to go. Think carefully about gearing so you can use the same chain for both SM and off road, I was running 13-50 for off road and 15-42 for SM and had to swap chains which is a PITA. Maybe a 16-47 for SM use so there is the same # of teeth (63) and you don't have to move the chain adjusters, just change front sprockets and plop the wheels in.

Buy a set of adjusters and add material for the street tires. Then you can use the same chain but the street axles will be pushed all the way back. There should be almost 2" of movement (shortest chain for dirt to SM). Or check with me in about 3 weeks for custom adjuster blocks for TE/SM conversion. I have a TE and need SM wheels, have design and machining capabilities. Will also have a small rear rack with customizable logo section.