Worst Day on the 450x Ever

A d38 race, or are you coming to the idaho national?

That el centro race was some messed up stuff. I just got a brand new husky wr300 and i'm soooo glad I took my kx250 instead (already has over 200 hrs on it). The bike is pretty messed up. brake pads down to metal, every steel part rusted.

to make it worse, my fiancee broke her ankle around mile 30, and was only able to make it another 5 miles after that before giving up. Thankfully the club extracted her AND her bike fairly quickly. :banana::worthy::lol:

I ended up 38th overall, finishing in a leisurely 4:20 or so. I think I've spent more time than that just cleaning bikes and gear since we got home, and i'm nowhere near done yet.

fortunately, i never got in any particularly deep water. just a crapload of shallow water.

Man What a Small world. I'm the one that rode her bike in for her. Sorry for getting it a little more dirtier.:banana:

Some other observations while this thing is apart...

Cylinder does have signs of a little piston slap

807118338_Z8zfN-L-1.jpg

807118354_Prpir-L-1.jpg

Is this what you were referring to? Is this to be expected after 70 hours?

Exactly, Justin. IMO your piston skirt looks pretty good (excellent) as does the cylinder wall based on your pictures. When I say 70 hours and time for new piston I mean it more in a prevention way than anything else. I've cracked a couple both with well over 100 hours on them and vowed to never run one longer than that again OEM or other. I'm not compulsive enough in my old age to stick exactly to the intervals recommended in the book but I think those recommendations are there for a reason. Fast riders are naturally harder on motors and wear things out faster so 70 hours for you is a long time...like 140 for me. I think John J. or Dan M. might have better suggestions for you since they are higher level riders. Don't get me wrong though. I can trash a motor with the best of you:lol::banana::lol:

Man What a Small world. I'm the one that rode her bike in for her. Sorry for getting it a little more dirtier.:lol:

Thank you for helping out, Thomas. Looks good on you and D38. I finished 357th out of 245 in just under 4 hours but I could be mistaken because I was unconscious after RM2:lol::banana::lol::banana: On the bright side, the hypothermia reversed my age by 921 years.:banana::banana::ride:

Thank you for helping out, Thomas. Looks good on you and D38.

As bad as conditions were for the racers, I think they were even worse for the sweep crew, course marking crew, checkpoint workers and all the other club volunteers. :banana:. They did an amazing job of keeping the race going despite extremely adverse weather conditions.

Man What a Small world. I'm the one that rode her bike in for her. Sorry for getting it a little more dirtier.

Yeah, what's up with that? She said it was clean when she left it :lol:

As bad as conditions were for the racers, I think they were even worse for the sweep crew, course marking crew, checkpoint workers and all the other club volunteers. :lol:. They did an amazing job of keeping the race going despite extremely adverse weather conditions.

Yeah, what's up with that? She said it was clean when she left it :banana:

Very well said, llamaface. I felt like I was up shit's creek without a paddle but knew Roadrunners had our backs no matter what. The club honchos, course workers, LESAR (I won't race out there without LESAR on the course), friends and family in the pits, spectators, other D38 clubs and members, and even recreational people and spectators all threw down to get this race in the books and the racers home safe. It was a display of the very best of our entire off road community. Hope your GF heals fast and if you're down this way again anytime gimme' a shout. Be glad to show you around in the Yuma area at least.:banana:

As bad as conditions were for the racers, I think they were even worse for the sweep crew, course marking crew, checkpoint workers and all the other club volunteers. :banana:. They did an amazing job of keeping the race going despite extremely adverse weather conditions.

Yeah, what's up with that? She said it was clean when she left it :lol:

haha The way back to camp was lot worse with the water. I remember having to cross the "dry"lake bed and I was hydroplaning the hole time on her 250.

The funniest thing she asked me, when we went and picked her up with the others was

She looked at me and I had my riding pants and a sweater with regular shoes. And She says" Do you even know how to ride" I looked back at her and said "I think I can". that really cracked me up she was in good sprits the hole time too.

She looked at me and I had my riding pants and a sweater with regular shoes. And She says" Do you even know how to ride" I looked back at her and said "I think I can". that really cracked me up she was in good sprits the hole time too.

That is hilaious :banana: When are you gonna come out and ride Thomas? we have some fresh SSS:ride:

:banana: :banana:

Was that your brother that drove her back? She said that dude had major 4-wheeling skills :banana:, but then just getting out of the parking lot after the race is our idea of major 4-wheeling. :lol:

So just an update... I decided to take my top end down to the El Cajon Precision Concepts shop. One of my fellow club members works out of their shop a few days a week - one of the best when it comes to the 450x... apart from AgentSmith, of course :banana:

I took it here out of convenience and expediency, but I do have to say, when I called AgentSmith Racing yesterday and said I needed the head finished before the weekend of the 19th, their response was, "we'll do whatever is needed to get it done in time." That was music to my ears. You don't hear shops saying that too much these days, so kudos to AgentSmith Racing :banana:

Bob looked over the cylinder, piston, and head and said the cylinder is in "great shape" and even the piston could be re-used (but I am getting a new piston anyway). The valves look fine, but since it's apart we're going to put in Kibblewhite steel intakes for durability even though the stock intakes appear to be fine after 70 hours.

I had previously thought about doing a port & polish, but I'm going to reconsider. Without going the full length and slapping on the R head and a different cam, there's not much to be gained by just a port & polish alone. The stock 450x is plenty fast enough in single track which, after this mud filled weekend, is where I think I prefer to spend my riding and racing time :banana:

I'm planning to split the cases this weekend to clean out everything. I'll thoroughly wash each part in a solvent bin to make sure everything is spotless. I just hope I can get it back together :lol:

Sounds like things are looking up!! Great news.

:banana: :banana:

Was that your brother that drove her back? She said that dude had major 4-wheeling skills :banana:, but then just getting out of the parking lot after the race is our idea of major 4-wheeling. :lol:

haha no hes a good buddy of mine. The funny thing is our moms kinda look alike also. haha you should have seen his skills when we came over the hill where your fiance was...it was all muddy and there was a good sized canyon,when he came over the hill his blazer went into the canyon and he flew in the passangers seat. the look on his face was priceless. Goodthing there was alot of mud in there already to help cover up his little mishap.LMAO

Krannie that sounds like a good deal! im gonna have to make some plans to come up there.

typed from my HTC Touch Pro 2

Good luck on the rebuild Justin! I have been keeping tabs on this thread all the while in the back of my head I'm thinking..."dude that could have been me!" I would have definitely been :banana: this week...you’re a better man than me keeping up the positive attitude :banana:.

My bike was apart that weekend (wheel issues and suspension work, but not saying I would have done the National anyway - the "B" loop is not my cup of tea terrain wise) and I was at Glamis anyway riding a 200x ATC :lol::banana: with friends. Woke up at 4:00am to the sound of pouring rain Sunday AM and when I finally stepped outside at 6:00am all I could think when I looked to the west was "Dam some crazy bastards are going to race in these conditions." I drank a beer at 9:00am thinking of you guys :banana: :banana:.

So you left your bike in a muddy river and walked 8 miles?

Question - how the hell did you find your bike when you went back!?!?

not saying I would have done the National anyway - the "B" loop is not my cup of tea terrain wise)

dood.... the 2nd loop was the bomb-diggety. The whole time I was thinking "I hope my fiancee gets through the nasty muddy first loop without major issues so she can enjoy this stuff". there were some cool rock sections and drop-offs that she would have really loved. :banana:

dood.... the 2nd loop was the bomb-diggety. The whole time I was thinking "I hope my fiancee gets through the nasty muddy first loop without major issues so she can enjoy this stuff". there were some cool rock sections and drop-offs that she would have really loved. :banana:

I like the fast stuff...and I hate rocks. Although this year would have been the year to do the B loop temp wise (sans the mud on the A loop).

So you left your bike in a muddy river and walked 8 miles?

Question - how the hell did you find your bike when you went back!?!?

I was able to muscle the bike out of the arroyo, up onto "solid" ground. This was nothing more than sloppy, slippery, clay like mud. I could only yank the motorcycle about a foot at a time. I finally found a tall mound and propped the bike up next to it.

I know that desert pretty well, so I was able to remember it's general location - due west of the twirly-bird tower, north west corner of the prison. I walked about 100 yards and looked back at my bike and that's when I saw the other racer walking towards me in the distance about 1/2 mile. That poor kid had already walked 5 miles. From about 300 yards away, I saw him walk into a 2 foot arroyo and he just kept soldiering on, like a man on a mission. He hardly flinched.

Quite an experience for a 17 year old kid... and a 33 year old one :banana:

It was brought to my attention a couple days ago by a far more experienced friend who reminded me that this kind of racing is normal in places like Ohio and Montana and way back East. Guys deal with this crap every single weekend.

We're just a bunch of spoiled Southern California boys who complain about a little dust and rocks :banana:

http://www.promoto.tv/

Edited by Justin Hambleton

Having lived in Maine, Mississippi, Rhode Island, the Florida panhandle, South Texas, and Colorado I can say for sure I've seen lots of mud but never anything like the mud in that race. It was ugly, slippery, heavy, gnarly, and nasty mile after mile it seemed. I wouldn't want to do it again but happy to have participated in it.

My bike was apart that weekend (wheel issues and suspension work, but not saying I would have done the National anyway - the "B" loop is not my cup of tea terrain wise) and I was at Glamis anyway riding a 200x ATC :banana::lol: with friends. Woke up at 4:00am to the sound of pouring rain Sunday AM and when I finally stepped outside at 6:00am all I could think when I looked to the west was "Dam some crazy bastards are going to race in these conditions." I drank a beer at 9:00am thinking of you guys :banana: :banana:.

Now that's a NO stress situation right there!! And one that I love to remember, when I too sit on the starting line... "that it'll all be over soon". However, Dan... I think you were better off... no matter. Crackin' the beer at 9am, was just the cake topper!

dood.... the 2nd loop was the bomb-diggety. .........

I figured it would be. Mostly sand, or high ground... some rocks, and some more sand. But the "high ground" had to make it perfect conditions in comparison!

We're just a bunch of spoiled Southern California boys who complain about a little dust and rocks :banana:

http://www.promoto.tv/

Those boys, back East can have it. I hate mud. One reason I live here. I'd rather choke on dust for one day, then pick mud from my bike, gear, and vehicle for weeks.

And boy... that little bit of video sure makes me wonder what you all were complaining about. :smirk::banana::prof:

And boy... that little bit of video sure makes me wonder what you all were complaining about. :lol::banana: :banana:

Beau was a wimp and only shot the "easy" B loop.

The fun happened here