Sign in to follow this  

2001 cr 500

im looking for a cr 500 engine for a 500af conversion and was wondering if the cylinder on the 2001 500 was steel or nikasil? thanks for the help!

The aluminum piston generally wears at a much faster rate then the steal bore in a normal world, just like with a nickasil bore..

you get a lot of hours on a 500 bore.

You can get it plated, but the stock cylinder should be good for a couple rebuilds. Might just need honing.

Having no plating is a blessing. I'd rather have a $50 bore job done than pay for any repairs, replating and a piston.

So are the Cr500's sleeved then? Just wondering, because I want to eventually build myself a af and I am looking for a good CR motor.

yes they are sleeved. and pistons start from $120 off ebay. youll get about 50 hours plus of a good buil. make sure you rlelieve the bridge .and speak to the boys from "banned cr500 riders".

You can buy brand new cylinders on Ebay for $340; you still need to buy the studs separate. But, most bores in used bikes can be cleaned up. You can go two sizes over with OEM pistons and even more with aftermarket like Wiseco. Unless someone has run the bike lean for extended hours, the bore is probably fine. The OEM pistons do tend to crack on the skirts after many hours and can be checked without removing the cylinder.