Sign in to follow this  

XR650L Gearing

Hey Guys,

I am new here to this forum, I have a 2004 Honda XR650L. I have found the stock gearing to be way to high, for any type of off roading. I reduced the gearing to 14T/48T, I found that to be to low for highway speeds for any length of time. I now run 15T/48T, seems to be an ok fit but still a bit low if taking a road trip. I have since replaced the chain with a 110 link 550 chain. I want to go back to the 45T in the rear. That way I can switch between 13, 14 and 15T in the front depending on the riding. Is 15T/48T around the same as 13T/48T? I want to make sure that the chain length of 110 links with still fit. Also I would have the option to go 13t/45t for off road then 15t/45t stock for highway. This would allow the bike to run cooler at highway speeds. I know its always a compromise but I need to find that fit to where I can change it up as need be. Changing the rear is a pain in the butt. Any info or recommendations here? Thanks!

My personal advice is to get another set of rims and tires. If not both wheels, then just an extra rear. That way you don't have to rear swap sprockets alt the time.

I have a set of rims that I keep road tires (dualsport) on, and one set that I keep aggressive knobbies on. The road set has the stock 45 tooth rear sprocket and I use the stock 15 tooth front with that. The offroad rear has a 48 tooth on it and I use a 14 tooth front when I mount that up.

Swapping the wheels and front sprocket has the additional benefit of being able to clean the countershaft, axles and spacers more often. After an off road ride, they really get gritty and nasty. Swapping wheels takes only 15 to 30 minutes including cleaning and re-greasing everything.

Last thought, even running stock gears and road tires, the bike will run on dirt roads and trails just fine. The point is to just get out there and enjoy the bike, the day and yourself. Don't be concerned with who is faster or whatever. Have fun.

yeah 45 and 15 is a good set up. but if you want some really good set up for trails, I run 11 tooth on the front and a 57 tooth on the back. its great for play trials

Never seen an 11 tooth for the 650L or 600R. 13T is as low as I have seen and the 13T is hard to find. 14T can be found relative easily.

Hey Guys, Thanks for the advice. I decided to try and stick with the 48T in the rear. I am running a D606 120/90 on the back. As far as the front sprocket I ordered a 13T and actually was able to find a place that has a 16T that will fit the XRL. I already have a 14T and 15T. I think this will be the best setup since I don't want to spend the money on a second set of wheels, which is the best overall option but pretty expensive. So now with a 13,14,15,16t set up for the front I can take it to real low dirt stuff with the 13 up to pretty much stock for road trips with the 16, and it can be changed in only a few minutes. I have not got the 16t in the mail but will give a heads up after testing it out. Any good advice on saddlebags, I was thinking the dirtbagz ranger?