Picked up two KDX's....

That's right....

My Brother from another mother and myself just went on a little road trip and picked up a couple KDX's on Friday.

One is a 1997 220 and the other is a 2003 220.... both bikes have fairly fresh top ends and came with Gnarley pipes/fmf sparky's. The best part was that we picked them up for under 2K total !

So I'm noticing that 32:1 on the mix seems to be pretty popular.... is there a reason to do this with the KDX? I've been running 50:1 in my KTM's without ever encountering an issue.... so whats the word?

:banana:

Pick your ratio and stick to it, jet accordingly. 50:1 will be fine with good synthetic. The manual recommends 32:1. I'm currently running 40:1. As long as you jet it properly you shouldn't have any problem.

Might want to make sure those two "fresh top ends" are fresh, and done with Wiseco pistons and not stock. The OEM 220 pistons have a bad habit of destroying engines.

Congrats on the bikes! Sounds like a good deal.

I pay little to no attention to oil manufacturers recommendations, and more to the bike manufacturers recommendations. The KDX manual calls for 32:1. As long as it's jetted properly you'll be fine. It's been shown on a dyno that more oil makes more power in a 2t all the way down to about 18:1, provided that the bike is jetted for the ratio being run.

I pay little to no attention to oil manufacturers recommendations, and more to the bike manufacturers recommendations. The KDX manual calls for 32:1. As long as it's jetted properly you'll be fine. It's been shown on a dyno that more oil makes more power in a 2t all the way down to about 18:1, provided that the bike is jetted for the ratio being run.

Interesting.... first that I have heard of that. I will have to look into this some more and run the same in my KTM (currently 50:1 Motul). We are planning a ride the first week of April at Mamoth Bar so the KTM will stay home this time.

:banana:

• 2 weeks later...