Sign in to follow this  

Advice on 2004 CRF250R

I bought the bike used (no idea how many hours were on it previously as the owner said low hours). Anyway, I've put 55 hours on it and have checked the valves religiously. they are in spec. this past weekend, it fired up after about 4 kicks. I let it idle for about a minute and then I cracked the throttle a little and it died. kicked and kicked and I then ended up having to bump start it:foul: bike ran fine the rest of the day until I washed it off several hours later and then it was a bear to start again. While I was at the track someone told me that it was better to change everything out before it exploded than wait until it exploded.

I was always under the impression to not change things so long as they were running fine.

Now to my question, should I change everything out (crank, valves, piston, timing chain) or, should I invest in a newer bike?

Thanks,

Tough question to ask. If you really don't know how many hours are on it, I'd say it's probably time to do a rebuild. The best question to ask yourself is how much do you want to spend on a 6 year old bike? You're probably looking at approximately $600-$1000 if you do the work yourself. That's going to be the crank, valves and assembly, timing chain, gaskets and a few other odds and ends. If you're ok with that and not wanting a new or newer bike, it's worth it to you. The down fall is if it does granade, you could be looking at double of what I mentioned. The ball's in your court.