USWE SPORTS ACTION HYDRO PACKS GIVEAWAYS!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Question for Dr. Mark Sanders... Post ACL recon...

Gday... In 2nd January this year I hopped a fallen log on my wr250f and blew out my knee.

I visited the local knee surgeon who said I had a complete tear of my ACL and a partial tear of my MCL. He didnt believe I had any cartilage damage.

I had an MRI the next day which confirmed the torn ACL, partial MCL and a lot of bone bruising.

I was put in a brace for 6 weeks and began physio twice a week to restore ROM.

Well, I ended up getting pretty good ROM before the surgery, however I continued to get very sharp pains to the left of my knee cap when moving my knee from 0 degrees to about 10 degrees. This pain was really quite bad. This pain is now gone after surgery.

I was operated on exactly two weeks ago using the hamstring tendon by a local Australian surgeon who is generally well regarded in sports medicine here.

However, I presented with a large "buldge" on the inside edge of my injured knee and a lot of swelling. I had a doppler scan which relvealed a cyst measuring 6cm x 1.8cm running from along the inside of my knee and ending near the wound for the hamstring extraction.

The scan stated;

"There is a fluid structure within the popliteal fossa....This was difficult to interrogate due to soft tissue swelling....The differential would include a postoperative collection or a bakers cyst....It however is in the typical site of bakers cyst, making the bakers more likely"

My surgeon said its irrelevant and nothing to worry about. He hasnt really explained how or why this cyst has developed, or what it may mean in regards to my recovery etc.

Could you please shed some light on what this means and the possible causes?

Thanks in advance!

That sounds like post operative swelling. A Baker's cyst isn't a cyst is just swelling of the knee presented in the back of the knee.

It would be good if the "cyst" word was removed from the vocabulary.

So if its probably postoperative swelling, I would imagine this would subside as the injury heals, ie time?...

The swelling around the knee has subsided alot, however the buldge around the side of the knee is still quite prominent...

I am taking celebrex and icing my knee three times a day. Do you have any other tips for reducing this swelling?