Sign in to follow this  

Fork Seals Leaking , Possible Causes ?

I had my first ride of the year yesterday after the first race i came in and noticed both fork seals started to leak ,any ideas what could cause this ? I've checked the fork legs and the is no damage to them , I've heard that if i remove the dust covers and then run a feeller gauge around the seal this may help it , is this right ?

basically you've got a few possiblities. you could have a burr or ding on the sliders, but you said that you've already checked that. so either you have a rip in the seals or a little dirt got lodged between the seal and the fork. so yes, you should drop the wipers down and inspect the seals and see if there are any obvious rips. if you don't see anything obvious then try running the edge of an old business card around the edges of the seals, you may be able to remove the debris that's keeping the seal from doing it's job.you could use a feeler gauge but i think using a business card is a little more gentle on the seal.

good luck

I agree with scrode. Mine seem to leak every spring. I think the cold does something to them. I figure when they leak it is probably past due for new oil anyway. Fork seals are easy to change. There are lots of good how-to fork seal videos on the internet. this fork seal video is probably the best. I put tusk fork seals in last spring and they haven't leaked yet. I recomend them

What year is the bike any about how many hours are on it?

Bikes that are more then 2-3 years old and have a good amount of hours on them, will have worn bushings that will need replaced, and worn bushings let the seals blow easily

I agree with scrode. Mine seem to leak every spring. I think the cold does something to them. I figure when they leak it is probably past due for new oil anyway. Fork seals are easy to change. There are lots of good how-to fork seal videos on the internet. this fork seal video is probably the best. I put tusk fork seals in last spring and they haven't leaked yet. I recomend them

Did you ever replace your bushings? If not, then that's most likely why they leak every season..

I've never used a fork seal as good as OEM! I always use OEM Seals, every single bike I did a full rebuild (new seals, bushins, oil) now 2-3 years later still not ONE bike has blown the seals again!

I've done over 15-20 sets of forks or so :banana: