Sign in to follow this  

EFI problems KXF 450 -09

Hello everyone .

Just joined this forum and im hoping that someone have had this problem with there kxf 450 -09.

No one in Sweden have ever had this problem. Contacted Kawasaki Sweden and a bunch of dealers..

The engien "dies" without any reason at all under motos. Just like you press the killswitch, it can go for 5 hours, it can go for 20 minutes.

The bike starts easy directly at the first punch. No starting problems cold/warm.

The problem usually comes at high speeds like straight-aways or big jumps = resulted in some very bad crashes!

The bike has run now only 45 hours.

Have checked the following with some recommendations from Kawasaki Sweden:

Checked the fuel-tank, and pump. Everything looks ok.

A lot of electrical cables. ( bad at this but everything looks ok except for ONE cable who the covering was broken/torned down on. This cable was close to the frame, could this be the problem?

The bike runs otherwise perfect!

I'm thinking about selling the bike before it kills me. The guy who had it before me broke his neck due to this problem!

Anyone els have had some problem like this?

Have a nice day.

/Adam

Check the wire connections that go to the coil in front of the head, i had both 8mm bolts come loose and cause a bad connection causing it to cut out for no reason. Eventually it wouldn't run at all, it will be a bad connection for sure. I was surprized by the amount of wires on a FI bike they run everywhere, not good i feel in the long run.

I had the same issue. I made sure all connectors under the tank had good connection and haven't had an issue sense.

Thanks guys for the support..

Already taken apart every single connectors and put some contact-spray in everyone.. The bike ran good for 5 solid hours and i thought the problem was solved..

Don't know if i ever can trust the bike again. And what will happen again in 40 hours?

No, this problem must never ever happen on new stuff that cost this much!

A dealer is going to look at the bike on Friday and run some diagnostic-test .

Will be posting the results here later..

IF he says there's nothing wrong tell him to jump the 75 footer a few times and hope she don't flame out and drop the front end on him.

That's scary bussines.Until I knew that it was fixed I wouldn't be jumping that bike or selling it to any of my freinds.

pj 351

Can you upload a picture of the connector you are talking about?

would appreciate it!

Sounds like you bike is grounding out where it shouldnt or losing its ground where it should be, either way its restting your ECU, which is why it refires right away. Check all your contacts, replace anythng you are questionable about, maybe even the harness...the cost is less then buying again, and doesnt put someone else in harms way.

time for some update!

Today I have been to Sweden's best Kawasaki dealer Delta MC. ( http://www.deltamc.se )

We hooked up the bike to the diagnostic test computer and ran some test..

But NOTHING came up :banana:

Everything looks ok and the bike ran great when they tested it..

But, the changed something called " tilt sensor " . A little plastic cube with a metallic ball inside that makes the bike turn off if the bike lies on the ground for to long time to prevent engine damage.

And they changed spark plug and spark head just for the sake of it..

Now i must test drive the bike for a while to see if the problem is gone. If the problem still is there the next step is to change the CDI-box they sad..

And it looks like Kawasaki Sweden will take the bill for the most of this.

Really good!

Will post a update here whenever something new comes up.

Agree. That is scary..

If my bike even did that twice i could never fully trust it ever!

time for some update!

But, the changed something called " tilt sensor " . A little plastic cube with a metallic ball inside that makes the bike turn off if the bike lies on the ground for to long time to prevent engine damage.

And they changed spark plug and spark head just for the sake of it..

Where is this "tilt sensor" you speak of? Think I might be having a similar issue.

hey,

Im having a very similar problem only mine doesnt flame out it misfires, changed numerous things, ht lead and coil and cap and plug, fuel pump...,mine too runs fine for any amount of time then just coughs and splutters then fine again, nearly caught me out on jumps a few times....may try my buddy's ecu off his bike!

hey,

Im having a very similar problem only mine doesnt flame out it misfires, changed numerous things, ht lead and coil and cap and plug, fuel pump...,mine too runs fine for any amount of time then just coughs and splutters then fine again, nearly caught me out on jumps a few times....may try my buddy's ecu off his bike!

I am having the same problem, also misfires splutters and luggs off the bottom. Also changed the coil and spark plug, solved it for maybe 3 hours and it done it again in my 2nd moto yesterday. Super frustrating. Would love to know the fix for this...

I am having the same problem, also misfires splutters and luggs off the bottom. Also changed the coil and spark plug, solved it for maybe 3 hours and it done it again in my 2nd moto yesterday. Super frustrating. Would love to know the fix for this...

Im goig to try my friends ecu on my bike tomorrow as well as a few other parts until we fing out what the problem is...i will let you know my findings

If there is any chance that dirt might have gotten into the throttle body, you might want to pull it out and clean all the passage ways. Other thing to check is the sensor in the airbox - make sure it is clean and the connection is good. - Had some issues with mine recently - after rebuilding the top end it still was not running right, ended up being a little bit of dirt in the throttle body. Hope this helps you out.

hey guys i am trying a stator on my bike today, see if it helps. I hope so.

today i tried a new stator, ecu and condensor. it was misfiring badly today at least once every lap, changed all apart from the condenser, this was last, so i changed it and it didnt misfire, so i swapped it back to mine and it misfired straight away....pretty conclusive i thought, so i put the new condenser back on and i rode for the rest of the day like that with no misfire, then on the last lap of my last 25 min moto it went back to misfiring :thumbsup: bummer