Sign in to follow this  

drz 400 timing chain tensioner problem

hello,i am new to this forum and hoping i can get some info.

i have a drz 400 e 2000 model with 3500kms on the clock.

the other day it began to develop a rattling noise from the timing chain. i removed the tensioner to check and found it to be slightly jammed back a little.

i wound it in and out a few times and it seems to be working and noise is gone.

i didnt want any more trouble so i ordered a new one from suzuki,but they said to get a 2003 onwards one so i did.

problem is it is about 6mm shorter than the old one fully out and when fitted timing chain is noisey.

has any had this problem and what is the fix for it.

any help appreciated.

thanks mick

Hi

The fix is to install a manual tensioner, the automatic ones either don't tension enough, or tension too much and stretch the chain.

Have a look at the DRZ400 FAQ.

• Like 1

thanks for that but can you tell me if later tensioner is shorter than earlier one?

or is my chain stretched?

To answer your question... The new style should work since they didn't change the chain, or the cylinder over the years. If the new one isn't reaching your chain... then either it's stuck, or your chain is stretched. (both are problems with the auto tenser)

Check you chain, pitch the auto tenser, and replace it with a manual unit. A failure of the factory part will result in a blown engine.

Needles to say... if you can hear the chain slapping around... Do not ride the bike!

Chain is most likely stretched beyond limits. Either way if you had an issue with the tensioner I'd replace the chain. If it fails it will be a very expensive problem. I know you just spent the money on a new automatic tensioner but get the manual one. Safer in the long run.

If the ACCT is not tensioning the cam chain when it is 'fully out' then I'd guess your cam chain is stretched beyond it's range of adjustment (mine was).

I think the only way to be sure is to get a vernier calliper and measure the amount of links, and see if the distance is within tolerance according to the manual.

Seems unlikely your chain would be stretched with so little mileage but not impossible.

thaks for all that info, looks like its going to be timing chain,is it possible to replace it by seperating link and joining new one to old one and winding on?

do you have a contact for replacement chains besided suzuki.

thanks mick

Yes it is possible to do it that way, but it isn't recommended.

Get an endless OEM chain, then take the primary cover off to fit it, that way you can do the primary nut fix at the same time.

The mechanic who did my cam chain on my DR-Z fitted a DID open chain by joining it to the old one. Was cheaper to get the chain fitted than the hard way, but he missed the loose primary nut which resulted in my engine lunching itself.

Cheers,

Con

takes literally a few extra minutes to do it the correct way.

Heck... I would think other than the expense of the gasket... it would take the same time/effort to do it right.

Since the OEM chain doesn't have a master link in it... you will have to cut it. That alone would take more time than just pulling the 15 or so blots remove the cover. And, as mentioned above... you can do the fix on the nut, change your oil, and your coolant in one job. (assuming you need maintenance)

And finally... if you start to do it the half-@ssed way... and you drop something into the engine... it's coming apart anyway.

Oh... and since you have a master on you cam chain... you have one more fail point. (I've had masters come apart before)

Looking it over... it's not worth trying to save a little time.

thanks for all of your help,i have ordered a new chain and gaskets,

will keep you posted .

mick

thats right.i garuntee its take more time to mess around with the dumb master link.

if I were to replace my ACCT and worn out chain would you recommend I replace anything else while I'm at it?

if I were to replace my ACCT and worn out chain would you recommend I replace anything else while I'm at it?

Since you will have the motor apart for this it would be a good time to do all the lock tite fixes and check the valves, if you haven't done so.