d.i.d 520 VT2

Hi, i am in need of new chain and sprockets, as the original chain (piece of sh** it is) on my 08 crf450 has sh** itself (stretched and tight in certain areas). (Why would Honda build such a great machine and put the worst piece of garbage drive chain on it, is beyond me.) Anyhow, enough of me grizzling. I hear the narrow (did 520 VT2 )does not need the drive sprocket spacer. Is this true? Anyone with this chain had good results? Bike still has original sprockets 48/13 (though in good nick still, i will be changing as well. (as you do). Any thoughts on a good steel rear sprocket i can look at? Any help would be great thanks.

DID designed the VT2 specifically for the CRF and Honda specifies an unplated version of the chain on the CRF250X and CRF450X.

Any steel rear sprocket will outlast an aluminum sprocket. The MSR/Ironman is the best. If you can't find it in Australia, I'd suggest a Sunstar steel rear sprocket.

Do you guys use the rivet link or buy a separate clip link? I can't find a clip link anywhere for this thing!

I always use the rivet links. I've been told that the clip link for the VT2 has been discontinued but there seem to be some still floating around. The CRF450X masterlink should work, but I haven't verified that.

Thanks. How do you peen the pins. Do you just use a center punch and hammer?

No, you need a chain press with the riveting attachment to peen the pins. Before you peen the pins, you should use a set of calipers to make sure that you have pressed on the masterlink plate to the same width as the adjacent chain. This ensures proper crush on the seals.

Edited by CamP