Sign in to follow this  

2005 Crf250

Hey there guys, this is my first post, sorry if it is not in the right place. I have a 05 crf250, i love it but im worried about the engine. I recently got a grand of work done do it including a fresh top end and valve check. The valves were 100% in spec but before it was rebuilt it was making a loud engine noise that seemed fairly noticible and still is with a new top end. My mechanic said that it shouldnt be the bottom end because there was the correct amount of play in it. Some people are tellling me to not worrie and just ride it but other people are worried that if the engine collapses on itself i will not be riding for a long time :banana: Any ideas or experiences you know of would be greatly appreciated :lol: Thanks guys.

Sam,

Welcome to ThumperTalk. Lots of great information to learn here...Not sure what the source of the "loud engine noise" may be but, a few thoughts: 1) could it be the packing in the muffler is starting to go? , 2) The bottom end will not produce exhaust-related noises but noticeable mechanical noises that would be distinctly different than the exhaust. 3) If you have to, take the header and muffler off then inspect it "head to toe" (exhaust manifold, Header, Muffler and all joints). This really is an easy job.

Because the bike is an '05, at some point, (depending on when your budget would allow it), you should consider looking at the bottom end ie, "splitting the case" and looking at the crankshaft, bearings, seals, etc. We have an '04. The '05 is a good bike. It has an improved cylinder (wall thickness) which addressed a cylinder issue in the '04 (sometimes cracked).

Hope this helps and good luck.

• Like 1

Welcome to the TT site! Like stated above, there's a lot of good information and people on here.

What you may be hearing is the decompression pin. Once it revs up a bit, does it go away? The decompression pin noise fools a lot of people, specially at an idle! It's totally normal.

I had something very similar happen to me with one of my bikes. I put in a fresh topend, checked play in crankshaft and rod everthing seemed and looked perfect. I had a pretty loud noise coming from the engine afterwards, especially at idle. I split the cases and everything stil looked great and was in spec until....... I removed my main crank bearings. The left side bearing had a clicking noise when spun on my fingers. The crazy part was they felt fine when they were in the cases. It was not until I removed it when I could figure out what my problem was. Plus I figured I would change all the bearings anyway since they were split. Just my 2 cents of thought. Good Luck.

Thanks guys. Yeah the rattle still seems to be there when its warmed up. Im not sure if its just a loud engine but im not in the position to fork out the money for a new bottom end. Im starting to consider getting a 125 again for the easy maintenance and fun ahah.

I have an 05 and i was the same way when I got mine. paranoid as all hell because it seemed very noisy and it was my first 4 stroke(moving up from a kx125). after a while I just realized they are noisy engines. Im sure you may be paranoid like i was with mine on account when these things go say goodbye to the next few pay checks. this is just my 2 cents, welcome to TT!

Yeah thats exactly like me, i just came from a yz125 which makes practically no sound to this which makes alot. Are there any signs i should watch for if the bottom end is going to go? Thanks for all the replies guys :banana:

Yeah thats exactly like me, i just came from a yz125 which makes practically no sound to this which makes alot. Are there any signs i should watch for if the bottom end is going to go? Thanks for all the replies guys :banana:

unusual noises- loud knocking, rattle...

keep an eye on your oil, change it often and keep an eye out for metal in it, same with the oil filter..