Sign in to follow this  

1985 XR350, repair or move on?

I have an XR350 that has started smoking on startup (usually much worse after sitting for long periods...days). I tore down the head, and the intake valves are starting to cup. Exhaust valves/seats look very good. All valve stems are at or near the recommended wear limits. I don't have a way to measure the guides.

What would you do with the bike? My options are:

1. Have seats cut, install new valves, don't worry about the guides. ($50 for new valves on the bay, what does seat work cost?).

2. Take a chance on a different head off of e-bay (will an XL350 head work?) . Cost anywhere from $60 - $150+

3. Put it back together and ride it until it dies or sell as is.

It'd be a nice bike to have around as a loaner, but that's about the only riding it will get (I've added two KTM520 EXCs to the stable; dual-sported). Without the work, and being honest about the condition, it's probably only worth $500 or so. If I fix it up, I'd think I could get $700-$800 for it. The rest of the bike it tight, just looks old.

For me, you're last paragraph answered the question. If you decide to fix it and keep it, it can't be about "the money, how much it's "worth" and what you could get for it upon resale.

It's has to be about keeping a good 'ol classic running instead of discarding it because it's needs a little TLC. It's also a shame to let it set around and not get much use. It is a great woods bike. Someone needs to be getting some use out of it.

I bet you'd make someones day if you sold it off, fixed, or as is.

Yeah, that's the catch. I'd really like to fix it up and keep it, but the WAF isn't too high and I can't see using it very much.

On the other hand, it's probably more than worth it just to have a buddy bike to loan out (other than one of my 520s).

I'm going to keep an eye on some of the heads on Ebay, and check with the local machine shop about cutting the seats. If I can pull something together for $100 or so, I'll fix it and keep it, otherwise it might be time for someone who can treat it better than me.

I do have some CR250 forks/clamps lying around that could probably get grafted on...HMMMM...

Well, I've decided to go with option #1. The cylinder/piston look really good and there's hardly any play from the valves (near limit for wear) and the guides. I think new valves will be fine in these guides. I think the exhaust valves were good, but I'm going to drop in all new since I'm in there.

I have the valves on the way, I just need to get the seats cut. I have the shop manual that details the process and enough machining experience I'd be comfortable doing it...but the tooling is too expensive. Looks like I'll just drop it off at the local machine shop as soon as the valves come in (unless someone has a better idea).

Anyone have luck registering one of these in WI for street use?

Well, I've decided to go with option #1. The cylinder/piston look really good and there's hardly any play from the valves (near limit for wear) and the guides. I think new valves will be fine in these guides. I think the exhaust valves were good, but I'm going to drop in all new since I'm in there.

I have the valves on the way, I just need to get the seats cut. I have the shop manual that details the process and enough machining experience I'd be comfortable doing it...but the tooling is too expensive. Looks like I'll just drop it off at the local machine shop as soon as the valves come in (unless someone has a better idea).

Anyone have luck registering one of these in WI for street use?

Nah, I have to agree with you about tool cost!:banana:

Many years back (30+), a buddy bought a set of valve and seat grinding tools and we did a few heads on various engines. But the cost to maintain these tools is much too high.

Be sure to post some pics of your progress. :lol: