Sign in to follow this  

Best place to buy a complete engine?

Well, my 720cc, big fin, oil cooler added, supermoto XR650L finally ate its piston. Also melted the cam journals and scored the rod. Looks like I need a complete engine. My question is, where to get a complete, well maintained used engine for under $1000? Anybody?

Sounds like you just need a top end.

I have seen complete motors on both CL and Ebay.

I don't think you are going to find what you are looking for. Any engine from ebay is a big unknown. You really have no idea as to it's condition.

I don't think you are going to find what you are looking for. Any engine from ebay is a big unknown. You really have no idea as to it's condition.

I`ve sen ebay engines with 0 miles - 2000 miles which SHOULD be decent,,but are they truthfull about the mileage?..have they been drivin hard,serviced right???..

As Cleonard says that`s a big unknown,expensive one too..i`d rebuild it,then i know what i have..

B

Maybe buy a used bike for under $2k, then part the frame and everything else out after you take the motor?

Maybe buy a used bike for under $2k, then part the frame and everything else out after you take the motor?

Good suggestion.

You can pay for the entire project if you do it right.

The only real trouble in the Pacific Northwest is finding a good running L for under 2K.

Also, if you buy on eBay, just be certain that the seller guarantees his products and has good feedback.

Also, pay with a credit card and you have additional insurance.

If you pay with PayPal, be sure that your transaction is covered by their buyer protection program.

Moto :banana:

bellingham wa craigslist # 1632481014

complete bike, $1600

Funny you should mention that. I actually drove about 80 miles and took 2 ferry's to look at that exact same bike a couple days ago. He would take $1400 for it, but what a piece of junk. Engine was smoking like crazy,burning as much oil as gas. Forks were shot, missing little bits and pieces here and there. I asked the owner on the phone before we met if it smoked and he said "no smoke, runs great". I hate liars and I hate them more when they waste my time and money.

I don't like to see good bikes get parted out, but that is probably your best bet besides finding a good engine. Find a good running bike without a lot of miles, take the engine, and part out the rest. You might even make a few bucks if the price is right.

I'd like to see pics of this nuked engine. :banana:

Did it it overheat or run out of oil?

Funny you should mention that. I actually drove about 80 miles and took 2 ferry's to look at that exact same bike a couple days ago. He would take $1400 for it, but what a piece of junk. Engine was smoking like crazy,burning as much oil as gas. Forks were shot, missing little bits and pieces here and there. I asked the owner on the phone before we met if it smoked and he said "no smoke, runs great". I hate liars and I hate them more when they waste my time and money.

Didn't know that, I been looking for parts and saw that one. if it was under 1200, i'm sure somebody would part it out.

bellingham wa craigslist # 1632481014

complete bike, $1600

I checked that bike out and like I said, Try to find a good one for under 2K.

That bike was in very poor condition.

I checked that bike out and like I said, Try to find a good one for under 2K.

That bike was in very poor condition.

Did you test ride it too? He should have warned me that there was no oil in the forks, before I test rode it. Almost lost it at my first front brake corner, massive dive, then bottomed. F that guy. Anyway, I just bit the bullet and purchased a used engine from a 2007, supposedly in perfect running condition. We'll see in about a week when I get it all together.

I got a 98 xr600 complete motor for 800 bucks from motorecycler.com i seen he had a lot of stuff on e bay and wrote him to see if he had one, he sent me pictures and video of the motor. He said they get a lot of them. motor runs great too