Sign in to follow this  

Rivet style master link

I hope I'm not the only one who is paranoid the first time using one of these type of master links. I've always used the clip style but just changed my sprockets and new DID chain. Purchased the chain breaker/riveting tool. I must have measured that thing a million times before and after staking and I'm still paranoid about it. I'm sure its probably a lot stronger than a clip style.

Rivet VS Clip... Rivet is the stronger, as long as it's installed CORRECTLY!!

If not, it can be your worst nightmare.

... do you have a proper press to install the rivet style??

I use this style (motion pro);

chain_tool_jumbo.jpg

But I also only use CLIP master links.

WHY? Well... I like to be able to remove my chain in the field in case of other issues and I need to be towed out. If you have to leave the chain on the bike it can get caught up and cause more trouble. Ever been towed at speed and had a chain get caught by a branch? Rebar? or something similar? (Don't ask me how I know... but the longest tow for me, was 165 or so miles... 75-80 of that was dirt, the other was Baja roads at night)

Hey Johnny

I bought the Tusk tool which looks to be about the same as the motion pro. You know how it is the first time you do something, you always (At least I do) second guess yourself. The ends seem to peen out in a fairly uniform manner. Diameter was about .240 ish and no cracks. I doubt it could come off. Damn...........165 mile tow...... In New England I don't think there is anyplace to ride where you could be towed that far..... I envy you out west guys!!

Hey Johnny

I bought the Tusk tool which looks to be about the same as the motion pro. You know how it is the first time you do something, you always (At least I do) second guess yourself. The ends seem to peen out in a fairly uniform manner. Diameter was about .240 ish and no cracks. I doubt it could come off. Damn...........165 mile tow...... In New England I don't think there is anyplace to ride where you could be towed that far..... I envy you out west guys!!

Sounds good. I think you'll be just fine too.

I too thought "Am I doing this right?" when I did my first one, or two... and they lasted. It's not rocket science, but it's definitely easier with a good tool.

:banana:

I guess the paranoia is justified since the final drive is kind of important. Speaking of the correct tools, my father would have just hit it with a hammer and centerpunch and pronounced it good to go....hahaha..... If you spot an 83 year old one-eyed man selling restored 70s' cl 175s...be leary of the cam chain master links.....

Rivet VS Clip... Rivet is the stronger, as long as it's installed CORRECTLY!!

If not, it can be your worst nightmare.

... do you have a proper press to install the rivet style??

I use this style (motion pro);

chain_tool_jumbo.jpg

But I also only use CLIP master links.

WHY? Well... I like to be able to remove my chain in the field in case of other issues and I need to be towed out. If you have to leave the chain on the bike it can get caught up and cause more trouble. Ever been towed at speed and had a chain get caught by a branch? Rebar? or something similar? (Don't ask me how I know... but the longest tow for me, was 165 or so miles... 75-80 of that was dirt, the other was Baja roads at night)

:banana::worthy::lol::banana:

How are these type master links for removing and reinstalling several times such as for removing and cleaning the chain ....

Damn...........165 mile tow...... In New England I don't think there is anyplace to ride where you could be towed that far..... I envy you out west guys!!

If I remember, RI is only 28 miles across on 95.:banana:

RI sucks.........no legal riding at all! We go to Mass but it still is nothing compared to out west. I keep trying to talk my wife into moving.

How are these type master links for removing and reinstalling several times such as for removing and cleaning the chain ....

You're not supposed to re-use the link, so once you take it off, you get a new one...

I use the motion pro tool - no problems with it.

Wow - that felt good - first post in who knows how long...

You're not supposed to re-use the link, so once you take it off, you get a new one...

I use the motion pro tool - no problems with it.

Wow - that felt good - first post in who knows how long...

Welcome back and toss it after one use? Sounds ridicules and I guess a new one cost $15 ...

You need to replace a rivet 'master' each time it's removed. Think of it like an oil-filter. Once removed, it needs to be replaced.

Best thing to do if your going to do the "remove to clean" procedure is to use a clip master link. They are really just a tad less in strength, rarely ever lose the master clip, and if you maintain your chain life... will last as long as a rivet master. And no special tools are needed to remove and replace (even though I use a 'chain press' to get the master put together, before installing the clip).

Welcome back and toss it after one use? Sounds ridicules and I guess a new one cost $15 ...

Thanks.

Yea - it's been a while since I've purchased one, but 10 or 15 bucks sounds about right depending on brand and quality. I used to like the ability to simply and quickly remove the chain, without the necessity of purchasing a new link (or the new chain tool for that matter). That said, it no longer bothers me at all - you get used to it. Thus, for the most part, I consider the rivet link pretty much permanent, at least until it's time to replce the chain. I have had great luck with the motorex fully synthetic 622 chain lube -does not pick up any muck, and my normal post-ride cleaning procedure with the hose and simple green leaves my chain looking like new, so no need to remove the chain for a super cleaning. I have no complaints about it.