Sign in to follow this  

best rear tire for woods and single track

Im going to buy a rear tire for my 1998 yz250 2. What tire should i buy. I would like it to be on the inexpensive side!

The 756's are super cheap but will only last prolly 5 rides or so. :banana:

Maxxis Desert IT. A good tire investment. Really nice since you can run super low air and not worry about pinch flats if you're truly riding woods at slow speeds. :lol:

Don't skimp! You get what you pay for - Michelin Starcross - MS3 or MH3 are the best all around. If you look around they should be about 70.00 at your door. If you go cheap you will replace sooner and not get as good traction.

Motoz Enduro S/T's at 6psi.

Best soft terrain tire there is. Wears like iron and costs less than the tires made by companies with multi-million dollar ad campaigns.

Hard to come by now as the US supply has been gobbled up, but they can bought through http://www.motosportz.com/ when available.

Motoz Enduro S/T's at 6psi.

Best soft terrain tire there is. Wears like iron and costs less than the tires made by companies with multi-million dollar ad campaigns.

Hard to come by now as the US supply has been gobbled up, but they can bought through http://www.motosportz.com/ when available.

Nice store at that link.

Tires look really nice.

http://www.motosportz.com/HVA-SS/Motoz_details.htm

:banana:

I'm also a Maxxis IT fan, ran them for most of a year plus I found them very predictable in most conditions - even at Washougal which has always given me problems! I now have the Michelin S-12XC on this bike and find the front end vague, always liked the S-12 (non-XC)when I was able to pickup the ones made in Spain.

Nice store at that link.

Tires look really nice.

http://www.motosportz.com/HVA-SS/Motoz_details.htm

:banana:

For real... they are nice.

I just dropped $135 on a set of Bridgestone 404/403's for my YZ and the rear is junk IMO. Straight line was fine, but it would walk out in every corner with the slightest amount of throttle. The front feels pretty good though.

The only time I've ever bought tires and really been impressed are those Motoz S/T's. Dont think they make them in 19" though, so I will probably have to get the intermediate terrain ones for the YZ. Or nut up and buy an 18" rim.

The IRC VE33 is a decently priced tire that wears well and performs well in most woods conditions. Very good for a mixed bag of terrain

I'm also a Maxxis IT fan, ran them for most of a year plus I found them very predictable in most conditions - even at Washougal which has always given me problems! I now have the Michelin S-12XC on this bike and find the front end vague, always liked the S-12 (non-XC)when I was able to pickup the ones made in Spain.

Ahhh the S12xc, for me the best rear tire ever made! So much so I like it best about 3-4 rides into it's life, and your right I think the only time the front would be good is turning in a bog... The M-12 is a fine front though.

the m12's are great with about 8 psi front and rear. Lasts a decent amount of time and hooks up great.

I can't wait till project basket case is finished so I can run my trials set up. the trials rocks on my 450, I doubt it can be any worse on the itty bitty 2-fiddy

+1 on not skimping on the tires,you'll regret it in just a few rides. I've been using Michelin S-12 on the back, M-12 on the front. They hook up on everything, especially in the woods but the hardest of hard pack. Some of the guys I ride with really like the Pirelli MT16, front and rear. Both seem to wear well.