Sign in to follow this  

dr 650 gearing

Well i have a stock 09 dr 650, but the thing is just geared to high for me to take off the road... what are some of your recommendations for gearing to take off road to ride some trails?

15 is stock. Most guys drop down to a 14 tooth first and go from there since its cheap and easy to do.

at kientech.com you can get a 14tooth front sprocket for $20 and that helps, it's what i use for dirt. And if you still want to go lower you can get a rear 45t sprocket (stock one is 42t) at the same place for $50. Your chain is a 525 so get the corresponding sprockets. Front takes about 15min to install, rear one would probably take about an hour.

The 14t helps. It was my first mod along with the skid plate. The 14/45 combination makes the gearing much better for tight trails or technical riding and all around better off-road. It really depends what speeds you need to maintain. 14/45 is not going to let you cruise very long at speeds greater than 60 mph and you can't run 15/45 with the # of links on a stock chain so a quick swap out for highway/trail is not an option. I have an extra rear sprocket drum. I can change between 42 and 45 by pulling the wheel out and swapping drums. Takes less than five minutes including grabbing the tools, dragging the jack out, etc. I don't know what I would be doing without the extra gearing option.

The 14t helps. It was my first mod along with the skid plate. The 14/45 combination makes the gearing much better for tight trails or technical riding and all around better off-road. It really depends what speeds you need to maintain. 14/45 is not going to let you cruise very long at speeds greater than 60 mph and you can't run 15/45 with the # of links on a stock chain so a quick swap out for highway/trail is not an option.

But 14/45 works fine on a 112 link chain.

14-15-16/45 and a 112 link chain.

Sorted.

SUZOOK...

You should stick to a steel 14 tooth sprocket. Great on trails and still cruz at 80mph. There cheap and usually available at the dealer (about the only thing thats cheap there). My DR eats the aluminum sprockets for breakfast.

Dont believe the hype....14T front make NO difference at all! it feels like I left it stock, only cost about $16 so Im not out much, but I was expecting way more the way folks talked about it on here.

2 pennies

14t front makes 7% difference to be exact.

Most people can really notice it.