OEM Clutch Assembly Vs Hinson Clutch Assembly

Just picked up a 07 CRF250R with around 20 Hrs(i was told). Bike fires on the first kick and was pretty clean, all stock. When you shift down to first, with the clutch engaged, you can feel it slipping a bit. So after some negotiating, he agreed to come down $300.

My question: When the bike goes to the shop this week, should i get OEM replacement parts or Hinson (about 189.99 for the assembly)? OEM looks to be a bit more. From what i read, it could just be the springs? It appears the bike was not ridden very hard. Any responses will be appreciated, thanks.

If you're just going to throw a new set of clutches in it, you can use the cheap ones, but do replace the inner clutch hub. Most of the time, that's what wears out, and the frictions will wear our prematurly. I know a lot of guys that just replace the frictions and steels and the clutch is gone after 20 or less hours because of the inner hub.

I wore out my basket, notched it bad. The hub was fine, not sure why some have trouble.

It's really hard to tell when I starts wearing. It looks ok. You'll know it's worn when you install a new clutch and steels and they don't last very long.

If you're just going to throw a new set of clutches in it, you can use the cheap ones, but do replace the inner clutch hub. Most of the time, that's what wears out, and the frictions will wear our prematurly. I know a lot of guys that just replace the frictions and steels and the clutch is gone after 20 or less hours because of the inner hub.

Thanks Charlie! :banana: I went ahead and ordered the OEM springs, plates and inner hub. Also got the factory service book, this does look like a pretty simple task. I wasnt sure if Hinson was the way to go, although they only cost about $35 more and are supposed to be better than OEM.

where are you getting a Hinson kit (hub, pressure plate, basket?) for 189 bucks??

my crf with the oem assembly ate springs.. way to tell if the springs are bad is if the bike slips under hard accel/throttle...

The Hinson kit i was referring to is the springs, steel and friction plate assembly. The entire kit with baskets, hub, etc is around $1000 :banana:

The Hinson kit i was referring to is the springs, steel and friction plate assembly. The entire kit with baskets, hub, etc is around $1000 :banana:

Good deal on buying the hinson set, speciall the springs. I've been using the stock inner hub and adding an old steel in the middle of the pack. It helps with the pressure applied to the whole assemble and it lasts a lot longer. You will have to re-adjust the cable, but it's well worth it. My kids 09 450 has the stock set up and it's at 70 hours and no signs of slipping at all. I added the extra steel at 20 hours when it started slipping and it's the original clutch it came with new. His 08 250 only has about 20 hours since the last rebuild and I put new barnett clutches, steels, springs and a new stock inner hub with the extra steel in it also. Before we started using the extra steel, he'd get about 30 hrs max on the clutch before it was smoked. I think I'll easily double that now, but only time will tell with the 250 since he works the hell out of the clutch on the smaller machine.

ive been real happy with my Hinson setup.. bought it all for around 800..

note on the Hinson Basket: On the stock basket there is a sleeve thats pressed into center that rides on tranny input shaft, between this sleeve and basket on the back side is a washer, when pressing the sleeve into the Hinson basket do not install the washer with it.. if you do you will find that the basket will not fully seat..

Not that I've seen. I did have 1 guy tell me that it was dragging when the bike was in neutral, but I think he may have possibly done something else to create the issue. He had replaced the inner hub also and I'm not positive as to what he may have done. If he stepped on the rear brake when the bike was running on the stand in neutral, it would stall. If the clutch isn't re-adjusted, it can have that effect when it's in gear so something else was wrong. I think he may have forgot to put the washer between the inner hub and outer basket or possibly overtightened the nut.

• 12 years later...