Sign in to follow this  

Splutter after jumps?

My 400 S runs like a champ with just one exception.....

If I take any size jump at all it then splutters for the next few hundred yards - it doesn't do it when popping wheelies, or on whoops, just when jumping?

It feels like fuel starvation.... anyone any idea where I should look for a solution?

Thanks

Definitely not that, was one of the first things I removed when I got it.

Check your carb boot, it may be sucking air if it has a hole or place opening on impact. I had a XR that would do that off jumps the boot had gotten dryrotted.

The boot is absolutely perfect, could it be something to do with the float level?

the stock carb is a cv carb and when you land from a jump the slide can close from g-force and cause what is happening. it happens right on landing but will clear up within a few sec.

That sounds feasible, but it is there anything I can do (without going to an FCR) to improve things?

That sounds feasible, but it is there anything I can do (without going to an FCR) to improve things?
keep it pinned when you are landing

That sounds like a challenge!

However, I've just been out for another blast around the field at the back of the office and it's still doing it.

I've checked the boot again and it seats perfectly and the carb doesn't move at all.

It really likes fuel starvation, more ideas needed quick.

the stock carb is a cv carb and when you land from a jump the slide can close from g-force and cause what is happening. it happens right on landing but will clear up within a few sec.

This is what I was thinking when I asked you if you still had the stock carb. There really is no fix. You may be able to enlarge the vacuum port or something to lessen the effect like they do on the XR650L.

It actually takes about 30 seconds to feel right again which is why I keep wondering about fuel starvation?

I don't jump far, or very high and normally my landings are very gentle - if I was dropping from 20 feet whilst wearing a concrete parachute this would make sense, but from a couple of feet it doesn't to me.

If the float level was wrong could this cause it?

Yeah, that doesn't sound right. I've jumped mine from several feet and didn't have the issue. I don't know if the float level could be a cause but it won't hurt to check it.

I've got the opposite problem.....my DRZ runs mint everywhere, including jumps.....except long wheelies! If I really hang the front, say a 1/4 to a half mile the bike'll suddenly splutter and stumble.....put the wheel down (well, no choice, she runs out of go-go juice!) and it'll stumble for 100 yards, then clear out and go.

But I can jump it off of anything and it runs fine. No clue.

Good luck with your headache!