Sign in to follow this  

funny front brake

Just put new pads on my front brake and now when the level is pulled in it only goes so far before it stops (about half way). Feels like it's hitting something and stopping. It has a good feel to it until the stopping point. Never noticed this with the old pads. Any ideas? I never opened the system and the brake still feels good.

Unusal. Have you ever put fluid in it when it was low? It's a pretty easy job to replace the pads, so I wouldn't think you did anything wrong, but maybe I'm wrong thinking that?

Took two minutes, took the old ones out, put the new ones in. Done it a million times. although this is the first time I didn't go OEM, I used EBC. would that have an effect? I've never put fluid in the bike, so I know there can't be air in the system. I;ll look at the adjustment screw on the lever, maybe that is hitting something (check the obivious first :banana: )?

There can be air in the system even if you've never put fluid in the bike. Brake fluid attracts water and when the water evaporates then you now have air in the system.

Just put new pads on my front brake and now when the level is pulled in it only goes so far before it stops (about half way). Feels like it's hitting something and stopping. It has a good feel to it until the stopping point. Never noticed this with the old pads. Any ideas? I never opened the system and the brake still feels good.

You say it still feels good, so what's the problem? Sounds like it is working properly now, it should stop before it reaches bottom. My thought is maybe there was some air in the system before you back-bled it by pushing the piston in to make room for the new thicker pads. You should take the master cylinder cap off, and let the pressure out and make sure the rubber boot is in correct shape.

did you loosen the bleed screw when you pushed the pistons back in?

Never, touched the bleed screw at all, I'll tinker with it tonight. You can't pull the lever in more than half way because it just stops, like it hit a wall.

have you tried riding it since changing the pads. it might just feel a little different than the other pads.

Did you adjust your lever? Make sure it's not hitting the throttle housing.

Other than that I can't think of anything else that would make the lever just "hit a wall"

Bingo! I took a little spill in a corner and it must have knocked either my throttle housing or brake lever a bit, and the adjustment screw was hitting the throttle housing. 5 second fix :banana:

thats good, but just for future reference you should loosen the bleed screw when you push the pistons back in otherwise it's forcing everything back into the master cylinder.