Sign in to follow this  

NewYork looking for a suspension shop in NY

anyone know of a suspension shop in NY (preferable around the capitol region) . need to get a shock filled with oil and re-charged.

Not specifically but how about Troy City Garage? If it's just fluid and nitrogen then I would hope they can handle that.

anyone know of a suspension shop in NY (preferable around the capitol region) . need to get a shock filled with oil and re-charged.

I just went through the same thing looking for someplace to get my daughter's shock serviced. I do my own forks but finding a place around here to do shocks is a PITA. I happened to be traveling through Greenwich recently and stopped at Parker MX. They wanted $150 bucks to service the shock! I said I just wanted a service , not a re-valve! I ended up going through a friend of a friend that lives in Vermont. You could try Pro Cycles in Clifton Park but they destroyed a shock for me in the past by overfilling the oil. First ride the shock hydro locked and bent the shaft in half! Hopefully they've gotten better since then as that was several years ago. Almost makes me want to invest in some tools and nitrogen! :banana:

I just went through the same thing looking for someplace to get my daughter's shock serviced. I do my own forks but finding a place around here to do shocks is a PITA. I happened to be traveling through Greenwich recently and stopped at Parker MX. They wanted $150 bucks to service the shock! I said I just wanted a service , not a re-valve! I ended up going through a friend of a friend that lives in Vermont. You could try Pro Cycles in Clifton Park but they destroyed a shock for me in the past by overfilling the oil. First ride the shock hydro locked and bent the shaft in half! Hopefully they've gotten better since then as that was several years ago. Almost makes me want to invest in some tools and nitrogen! :banana:

A bit pricey of a mistake! I only use MXTech in PA for mine - they were great, but yes you had to ship them. As Southwick on the 28th there should be a guy than do everything you need. He was there last year and replaced a tire for a buddy of mine - quick and cheap.

My seals are leaking so I'm going to bring it to him or ship it back to MXTech. I do not touch the shocks for some reason.

you may want to try Matts Honda in coxsackie. Not sure if they do that but its worth a phone call. I do know that Steve @ Dutchess Rec in Poughkeepsie does it if you want to travel that far south.

GP Racing in Wilton off exit 17 of Northway. (518) 792-9260 Rob Mann, good guy. There is also a shop in East Greenbush that does them, can't remember the name.

GP Racing in Wilton off exit 17 of Northway. (518) 792-9260 Rob Mann, good guy. There is also a shop in East Greenbush that does them, can't remember the name.

Is he still in business Dave? I thought he wasn't doing it anymore. :banana:

i cant believe you guys havent mentioned monster performance in burnt hills...call him up 518 320 5704.....Most cycle companies that do shock send them to him to do then mark up the price and say they did it....his name is Ian and i bet he is also cheaper then most places

Turns out I do not have time to ship them to MXtech before my next ride - any more suggestions for shops in Albany area?

I need new seals and oil.

i cant believe you guys havent mentioned monster performance in burnt hills...call him up 518 320 5704.....Most cycle companies that do shock send them to him to do then mark up the price and say they did it....his name is Ian and i bet he is also cheaper then most places

Never heard of him, an I've been in search of a somewhat local suspension shop forever. Will be calling him.

I personally wouldn't let that guy touch my stuff. It is a snowmobile shop. He does snowmobile shocks. Completely different animal. He's done a couple for friends and they had issues and needed to be redone. Who has time for that?? I'm also fairly certain he has no clue when it comes to forks. I would go with a shop that does MX suspension and will have any needed parts on hand so you don't end up waiting for a week or two for your rebuild.

I personally wouldn't let that guy touch my stuff. It is a snowmobile shop. He does snowmobile shocks. Completely different animal. He's done a couple for friends and they had issues and needed to be redone. Who has time for that?? I'm also fairly certain he has no clue when it comes to forks. I would go with a shop that does MX suspension and will have any needed parts on hand so you don't end up waiting for a week or two for your rebuild.

And now I'm back to searching somebody local and reputable. :thumbsup:

And now I'm back to searching somebody local and reputable. :thumbsup:

Mike, try Rob Mann at www.gp-racing.com. His website is still up so maybe he's still operating. I have used him in the past with great results. He been around a long time and knows his stuff. phone (518) 792-9260