Sign in to follow this  

Finally destroyed my YZ.. Updated with parts list

I havent gotten into it yet, I hope to tonight.. But I had a bomb go off in my YZ tranny this weekend at Eddieville.. Lost 2-4 gear sets as a best guess until I get the cases split, but I have a really bad feeling about this.. The counter shaft was wobbling like crazy in first gear with lots of noise.. Second and third will barely make any forward progress on the flat ground.. Fourth gear had "some" engagement with LOTS of noise, and at that point I never got it into fifth...

Needless to say, Karma bit me.. It wasnt but just about a week ago I was posting in here about "how durable my YZ's have been :lol::banana: " Then, telling Scott at Eddieville how durable my bikes have been only to have this happen the very same day :banana:

:banana: Im bummed

Sounds like a tranny bearing went out to me at least you got to enjoy the bike for awhile I had this happen to me with my '04 KX 125 within the first 18 hrs of it being new.

Pretty sure you're right Pimp.. Lost a main shaft bearing (happened on my 05) and those parts blended with my gears.. When it happened on my 05, the pieces jammed my shift drum in first gear leaving me to go easy.. This time though, the parts obviously floated around a bit.. :banana:

Yah Shrub, probably do the WR trans again..

... But I had a bomb go off in my YZ tranny this weekend...

An unfortunate welcome to the club.

Been there many, many times. Come to think of it, one of my YZ's is apart right now for......the very same issue!! Happens so often (every 40 hours) that it's now virtually an everyday experience.

Bummer Nate! Hopefully it won't be too spendy to get it back in order. -Ed

Oh, it's spendy all right. How do I know? Just look inside the box under my work bench with THOUSANDS of dollars worth of YZ transmission parts in it. The accountants at Yamaha just love us!

• Like 1

APBT, you might get a PM from me with a parts list in the next couple days searching for parts cheaper than new...

APBT, you might get a PM from me with a parts list in the next couple days searching for parts cheaper than new...

More than happy to help, but be warned- much of what's in the box consists of shattered gears, gears with teeth missing, gears with engagement dogs worn and rounded, worn or bent shifting forks, etc. etc. etc. We even have collars (#8 on the transmission parts diagram) which are galled. Atrocious, really- but hey it's a GREAT moneymaker for someone.....

Edited by APBT

I may be in touch with you too, Rebel... Sounds like APBT only has broken parts for me :banana:

Hey, does that stand for A Poorly Built Transmission :lol:

Hey, does that stand for A Poorly Built Transmission :banana:

Maybe I should change it to APPBT:banghead:

First update.. The motor is ready to come out an apart.. There is left crank case damage that is unrepairable around the counter shaft.. :banana: The good news is that I found a left/right case on Ebay from an 03.. However, I researched the part numbers and found the 03 part is a 5NX-15111-00-00 where the 07 case is a 5NX-15111-01-00.. :lol: Its a superseded number but wonder if any of you know the details?? :banana:

BD; Capt Dan had a thread with a breakdown of Yamaha part #'s as follows:

Understanding Yamaha Part Numbers

For a Part Number in the format XXX-XXXXX-XX-XX

XXX-XXXXX-XX-XX

The first three digits are the Model Code (every model in the Yamaha Product Line has a unique model number) all parts are given a Model Code of the first model they were used on.

XXX-XXXXX-XX-XX

The middle five digits are the Basic Code number and indicates the actual part, i.e. 11631 = piston; 11311 = cylinder, etc.

A "W" substituted in the first position of this five-digit group (000-W0000-00-00) indicates a factory assembled kit which differs in content from the original assembly used in production (i.e. 2M0-W0046-00-00 – Rear Break Pad Ass’y).

XXX-XXXXX-XX-XX

The next two digits are the Design Code and Design Change digits (so 01 means the part has had one design change). This part may or may not appear different, but it will be interchangeable with the original part.

XXX-XXXXX-XX-XX

The last two digits are the Color or Finish Code.

For a Part Number in the format XXXXX-XXXXX-XX

All these parts are Hardware (fasteners), they all start with a '9' and end in '00'.

The second and third digits tells us what type of fastener:

Thanks Dirtbag... I actually used to work at a Yami dealer, but that was many :banana: ago and I kinda forgot some of the specifics :lol:

Thanks again, looks like Im gonna try to buy that one I saw on the Bay :banana:

First update.. The motor is ready to come out an apart.. There is left crank case damage that is unrepairable around the counter shaft.. :banana: The good news is that I found a left/right case on Ebay from an 03.. However, I researched the part numbers and found the 03 part is a 5NX-15111-00-00 where the 07 case is a 5NX-15111-01-00.. :lol: Its a superseded number but wonder if any of you know the details?? :banana:
Seems kinda odd to me. did you run the chain too tight or maybe picked up a rock between the sprocket and chain? I have ridden Yamahas for years and fortunately have not had a failure like that.One would think bearings are pretty robust. On the other hand-I just bought an 04 YZ250 from a guy who said he had to replace 3rd gear because it broke. He put a new topend on while it was apart and I paid 1800 for it.Man, I hope he put it together right-I,ll find out this weekend cause I am racing it out here in the dez!

That is bad luck bikedude, got some hour out of that sucker though.

It pays to replace the tranny bearings when you drop a new crank in every 2-300 hours.

Seems kinda odd to me. did you run the chain too tight or maybe picked up a rock between the sprocket and chain? I have ridden Yamahas for years and fortunately have not had a failure like that.One would think bearings are pretty robust.

Thats always a possibility.. When it went, it was pretty violent.. Just know its broke :banana:

That is bad luck bikedude, got some hour out of that sucker though.

It pays to replace the tranny bearings when you drop a new crank in every 2-300 hours.

Oh, its gettin the works.. :banana: Thank God I have a buddy who owns a shop, or Id be bustin out the VISA :lol: