Sign in to follow this  

Need new fork pinch bolts - alternative to OEM?

I would like to replace 3 of the pinch bolts on the lower front forks, and have no choice but to replace the 4th. A new front axle nut would be nice also.

Any way to avoid the stealer on these items? List is like $3.00 a whack for the bolts alone.

Any chance something like this would work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/100-PC-BOLT-KIT-SUZUKI-RM-65-80-85-125-250-RM125-RM250_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem35a79cac03QQitemZ230445329411QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

As always, thanks TT :banana:

i stripped the last bolt on my 05RM250, and have to order one as well

i usually go to bikebandit.com, and they have a section of OEM parts that you can order, they are usually fairly cheap

I didn't look at the link but as mentioned above, bikebandit has a parts diagram and makes it easy to select your part. You will likely have trouble getting the head of an aftermarket bolt past the fork guard because they're larger. Break the investment down over a period of time (bolts will last you quite a while) and you'll see that its dirt cheap for the CORRECT hardware. $2.50 x 4 = $10.00+ shipping= max $20.00÷ 5 years?? That's pennies bro. Don't be cheap, just get the good stuff!

You wouldn't buy a 'no name' piston to save some scratch, yould ya? GOOD LUCK!

Fastenal.com will have the bolts for cheap. Look in your town or in a town near you for a store location.

I need to look into fastenal; I've gotten some items there before.

Being that these bolts are aluminum and going into an aluminum surface, I went OEM thru TT store to be safe :banana:

I didn't know fork pinch bolts were aluminum. Anywho if you need aluminum flange bolts they will have them as well.

EDIT: Just did some research and the fork pinch bolts are Grade 10.9 metric bolt which is around the same tensile strength as a Grade 8 SAE steel bolt.

Important stuff like that is worth the $10 to me. OEM or bust.... order thru motosport and whhen you buy over 99 you get free shipping. iTS A GOOD EXCUSE TO BUY SOME MORE GOODIES.... :banana:

I didn't know fork pinch bolts were aluminum. Anywho if you need aluminum flange bolts they will have them as well.

EDIT: Just did some research and the fork pinch bolts are Grade 10.9 metric bolt which is around the same tensile strength as a Grade 8 SAE steel bolt.

EW- it wasn't the tensile strength getting me, it was the idea of steel bolts going into an aluminum thread.

However- didn't know fastenal had aluminum ones too! Next time I'll go that way.

I wouldn't put aluminum bolts in there, even if you can find them. Stick with steel. If you're stripping the bolts you're doing something wrong. Their torque is pretty low - basically just enough to hold the fork tubes without pinching them.

Steel bolts are used in aluminum all of the time. Just remember if you are torquing the bolt use a grade 5 torque setting even if it is a grade 8 bolt because it is aluminum you are bolting to.

Alpo, it wasn't me doing something wrong, it was the random jackass in the past that put the breaker bar on them, causing me all the grief getting that one out!

Alpo, it wasn't me doing something wrong, it was the random jackass in the past that put the breaker bar on them, causing me all the grief getting that one out!

I hear you. I hate going behind those people and discovering what they screwed up. It makes me want to hurt someone.

I run Ti bolts myself. Buy them once and recycle as you trade around.