Sign in to follow this  

Question about assemblys vs wheel sets

Hey guys,

Ive been researching putting S rims on my SM and I have a few options....

Im looking at the TT store, and Im a bit confused when I see wheel sets, and all kinds of size options (21- 18) and same average prices.

then I see, front and rear assembly's with less sizes (16.5 - 17) and the cost more. I thought maybe those were sm specific, but then UNDER those, is the Supermoto section of wheel sets....

So Im curious. Whats the difference between these categories of wheel sets, and front/rear assemblys

Edited by Marsett
didnt mean to post it yet....

Hey guys,

Ive been researching putting S rims on my SM and I have a few options....

Did you plan on listing your options or are we supposed to guess? :banana:

Wheel sizes are typically 17" front and rear for SM (some run 16.5" up front, especially race bikes) and 21" front and 18" rear for off road bikes and 21" front and 19" rear for track bikes. E model and S model DR-Zs come with the 21"/18" setup.

heel sizes are typically 17" front and rear for SM (some run 16.5" up front, especially race bikes) and 21" front and 18" rear for off road bikes and 21" front and 19" rear for track bikes. E model and S model DR-Zs come with the 21"/18" setup.

ya that part I know. its more specific to the TT store where they're selling Wheels sets, front/rear assemblies, and SM assemblies in different categories.

Im close to knowing what I need to know, but the difference between what exactly a wheel set is vs a front or rear assembly is whats stumping me especially given the price differences. (take a look if your not sure what Im talking about)

I'm not sure I follow, but a front assembly is a single, assembled (hub, hoop, spokes, bearings and spacers) front wheel; a rear assembly is a single assembled rear wheel; and a wheel set is an assemble front and rear wheel. Two wheels versus one wheel should explain the cost disparity. Is that what you mean?

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Tucker_Rocky_Offroad_2009/default.asp?p=102

on there, all the "wheels" are like $480 on average. and you would pick out a 21" and an 18" done. BUT then there are these front assemblies and rear assemblies at sizes of 17" or 16.5" and cost an average of $520 so naturally I thought oh, those are for supermoto. But then UNDER that is the supermoto section of wheels and rims....so thats why Im wondering *** is an assembly??

For whatever reason they broke out the 17"x5" wheels and put them in they're own category (SuperMoto rear assemblies). No matter, just order the size you want.