Sign in to follow this  

g450x suspension?

I bought a new 09 g450x, and my friend too, he put the special triple clamp,($1300us) and my question is , Im coming from aKTM 400exc , and doing enduro I always feel secure on the handling of the bike, My new BMW feel like you are driving on marbles, I dont feel secure, I try my friend bike, and you feel it completly different , you feel secure too, the only mod is the Tripple clamps, I understand this is an aftermarket improvement , but cant belive the OEM clamp its so bad, so my question is what to check , maybe this bike has something wrong, I being doing ENDURO for more tha 20 years and have a lot of bikes, and never change clamps, always stock, so Im pretty sure the bmw oem it cant be that bad, any IDEAS.... sorry for my poor english

Do you know what triple clamp was installed on your friends bike? and what is the degree of offset on the triple clamp that your friend installed.

I have ridden several 2009 models, none had a feeling of riding on marbles that you describe.

I would suggest trying a front tire that properly matches your riding terrain and also ensure you are not running too much tire pressure.

finally check the torque on the steering head bearings, triple clamp and front axle, and alignment of the front axle to ensure there is no binding.

I found the standard factory fit Metzlers weren't too good and over priced from my BMW dealer.

Running Maxxis enduro tyres at the moment and so far they are night and day better...

I also got round to setting the sag for my weight about a year ago, that made a big difference and for the better.

I've since tinkered with setting up the front and rear rebound and compression for what I regard is the best compromise for my riding style and surfaces I ride on.

Worth spending the time doing these changes before spending on triple clamps and shock kits.

I have a factory set of ohlins forks and triple clamps if your interested in upgrading to 48mm forks.

I found the problem..... one fork was loose inside, and the other the valve was clompletly loose too , so there wasnt any suspension at all, today I try it and is night and day, now it work like supose to do, and I remove 1 shims so Is a litle more soft.. for my taste...