Sign in to follow this  

ODI Grips tech?

Okay there grips why would someone need help. I installed a set on my bro's X. Super easy clutch side. The throttle side having some issues. The throttle is slow to return. Removed the end cap and it is still slow to return. Put the OEM throttle tube back on and no issues, throttle returns quickly like when it was new. What am I missing here? Checked and re-checked the part number I have the right ones. Please keep the laughter to a minimum.:banana:

clean the bar end COMPLETELY, check for any drag with the new tube. if so, sand the bar lightly to get a good, drag free slip. after you get this, apply a little grease, lightly spread along the bar end as far as the tube goes,, then reassemble. new throttle tubes in my experience, always needed a lil tlc. i now run the billet tube, w bearing in the end. its sealed on the bar end, so no cap needed. had it for years, and havnt had to f with it since. good luck

Interesting... grease under the throttle tube?! I've never... it just attracts dirt, sand and debris. But hey, some may ride on nicely groomed tracks where there is no worry... right?!

Either you've slidden the throttle tube too close inward on the bar, or you need to remove a bit of the bar paint/coating.

Are these ODI Lock-On grips?? If so, they shouldn't need any paint/coating removal and you might have them binding inside the cable area.

Nobody's laughing. I'm sure we've all scratched our heads over the easiest things one time or another!!

grease works great under the throttle tube. those billit ones with the bearings in the end to support the throttle. its a sealed deal all said and done. nothing from the other side migrates over. like i said, iva had it like that for a cpl years now, and still works great. ill go knock on some wood, cause ill probly have problems shortly after this.............

grease works great under the throttle tube. those billit ones with the bearings in the end to support the throttle. its a sealed deal all said and done. nothing from the other side migrates over. like i said, iva had it like that for a cpl years now, and still works great. ill go knock on some wood, cause ill probly have problems shortly after this.............

10-4... I can't use the Billet tubes being I run handguards (in bar-end), so I'm not aware of how those work. I was ?? the grease under a stock, or OEM tube... and saying how it's a no-no (sand kills it, and so does silt)

yea, i hear ya with the hand guards. as for grease under a stocker......yea, ur right, thats just askin for trouble......those billet ones are sick. check it out........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/THROTTLE-TUBE-W-BEARINGS-CRF250R-CRF450R-CRF250-CRF450_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cedf2989eQQitemZ330409613470QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

yea, i hear ya with the hand guards. as for grease under a stocker......yea, ur right, thats just askin for trouble......those billet ones are sick. check it out........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/THROTTLE-TUBE-W-BEARINGS-CRF250R-CRF450R-CRF250-CRF450_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cedf2989eQQitemZ330409613470QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

They are nice, but they also don't work with ODI Lock-On grips, which I also use religiously.

Speaking of ODI grips....The only way to go. I had zero issues with the grips twisting around or off the bars during this last weekend's mud fight and it's because I had the ODI lock on grips. I could still get some grip even with gloveless cold wet muddy hands and that alone may have saved the day for me. I won't use any other grips.

just use the tie wire method ,works flawlessly. never used the odi lockons, so thats where i lack knowledge here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

just use the tie wire method ,works flawlessly. never used the odi lockons, so thats where i lack knowledge here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Wire tie is used for keeping bolts from backing out, or to hold your muffler up on your car... or normally, to hold the hay bail together.

...it doesn't belong on a rubber handlebar grip, where you hand is covered by a leather or material called a glove. It's somewhat defeating the purpose, to get a job done.

ODI Lock-Ons require nothing, but an allen key (supplied) to install or remove. And you can install or remove them as many times as you change your underwear if you'd like without hurting the grip :banana:

Don't get me wrong... I've wire-tied my grips for years. And in some cases, still had them slip or twist slightly in severe rain or muddy conditions. But, there's now a solution so you don't have to. A GREAT solution. And it actually allows grips to be used for what they were intended, rather than a wire tie to possibly aggravate your hand or glove.

All you need to know; http://www.odigrips.com/lock-on-2.aspx

(btw, this was just to entertain, not poke fun at DSTOLLYS or anyone specifically)

Give them a try. They are very inexpensive and super easy to mount especially if you have wrap around hand guards.:banana: Get the whole kit that includes the grip already on the throttle tube though.

Give them a try. They are very inexpensive and super easy to mount especially if you have wrap around hand guards.:banana:Get the whole kit that includes the grip already on the throttle tube though.

Ditto to that.

The "universal" kit does not have a grip adhered to the throttle tube, and is a waste of your time. However, the 450R version works just dandy for us Xers.

yea, well, ive never had a grip come loose, wire bother my hand thru my glove, etc. ever. thats why i dont mind that trick.do those lock ons come with a plastic throttle tube?? if so, ffffffff those things! i cant stand a plastic throttle tube after goin to the billit w bearing. i do like the design though, dont get me wrong. i just wish they had a lock on for a billit tube. im just sooooo sold on this billit w bearing tube. never looked back after i got it. as for grips???? i dont mind what i got goin right now either. its allllll preference!