Sign in to follow this  

Where did all the used YZs go?

Last year I picked up a clean, used 2006 YZ250. The shop (Championship Powersports in Ohio) had PLENTY of nice used bikes to choose from.

I was really impressed with the selection of bikes and helpful staff, so this year we returned to Championship figuring to pick out a 2008 YZ250 for my son.

They had NOTHING! Oh they had so many used 4-strokes that you couldn't turn around without knocking one over, but 2-strokes? Nada.

They said prices at auctions had gone through the roof, so used 2-strokes were getting priced right out of the retail outlets. They had new 2008 250 4-strokes selling for the same price the used 2-strokes were getting at these auctions.

They said they could get me a 4t, but, "Just make sure it has less than 100 hours on it." Otherwise, the cost to rebuild it will put you at the price of a new one. LOL!

To me, auctions are a good indicator of supply and demand. Even late-model 2-strokes on fleaBay have been disappearing.

Anybody else seeing this?

Yes I have seen this as well....

My best friend is a used bike dealer, he only buys used two-strokes. They usually sell in a few days to a week at most. He has to travel further and further for stock to sell.

Of course there are folks that say it's all in my mind!! LOL

Maybe the tides are changing???

A lot of riders don't want to buy used 4 strokes so they get new ones or a used 2 stroke. The last few times at tracks I've seen a noticable increase in the number of 2 strokes without numbers on them. Looks to me like the guys that ride but don't race are going back to 2 strokes.

Glad I snapped up my 09 at a great price late last summer.... Methinks that 2010's aren't going to be discounted from retail too much.

My buddy is in the market for a used 2 stroke, and we've noticed that the local craigslists are empty... Just a couple months ago there were dozens of bikes on there.

A lot of riders don't want to buy used 4 strokes so they get new ones or a used 2 stroke. The last few times at tracks I've seen a noticable increase in the number of 2 strokes without numbers on them. Looks to me like the guys that ride but don't race are going back to 2 strokes.

This is exacltly how I feel. If I buy a used MX or Enduro it will be a 2-stroke. Too many people neglect their 4-strokes and I can buy a new one for the price of an old one plus a rebuild. So new = 4-stroke, used = 2-stroke.

-mt-

buddy of mine is selling a miiiint 09 in MA, doesn't really 'want' to sell it though ehe

I noticed they are falling off as well. I picked up my 06 with quite a few mods last year for 2500, I'm quite sure with the condition it's in now I could sell it for more.

I love the 2t, but if I were to start racing again seriously, I'd be back on a 4T in a second. I'm as fast on a 2T for one lap, but for 5 laps, forget about it.

It's certainly more fun on a used 2T that you got for a steal!

It's certainly more fun on a used 2T that you got for a steal!

That's sort of CaptDan's theme though. Since they sell so fast there's little reason for seller's to sell them at a steal.

buddy of mine has a 2008 YZ125 for sale with two motos on it. no joke. the bike is amazing. (because its my bike's brother :banana:)

we have seen a crazy increase in the number of 250 2storkes here in CO. because they are killing the local 250F classes on them... this weekend at the local race in the 250F pro class there was 4 250 2t out front and about a 5 second gap to the first 4 stroke.

.. this weekend at the local race in the 250F pro class there was 4 250 2t out front and about a 5 second gap to the first 4 stroke.

Long live the great 250 two stroke.:banana:

2 Strokes for life, they will never go away!!!

MAX!!!

Last year I picked up a clean, used 2006 YZ250. The shop (Championship Powersports in Ohio) had PLENTY of nice used bikes to choose from.

I was really impressed with the selection of bikes and helpful staff, so this year we returned to Championship figuring to pick out a 2008 YZ250 for my son.

They had NOTHING! Oh they had so many used 4-strokes that you couldn't turn around without knocking one over, but 2-strokes? Nada.

They said prices at auctions had gone through the roof, so used 2-strokes were getting priced right out of the retail outlets. They had new 2008 250 4-strokes selling for the same price the used 2-strokes were getting at these auctions.

They said they could get me a 4t, but, "Just make sure it has less than 100 hours on it." Otherwise, the cost to rebuild it will put you at the price of a new one. LOL!

To me, auctions are a good indicator of supply and demand. Even late-model 2-strokes on fleaBay have been disappearing.

Anybody else seeing this?

Go into a field full of sheep every day and let loud farts while setting fire to one of the sheep.

Sheep aren't very smart. But in about a decade or so they'll start to learn that things that make loud farting noises will light you on fire.

Go into a field full of sheep every day and let loud farts while setting fire to one of the sheep.

Sheep aren't very smart. But in about a decade or so they'll start to learn that things that make loud farting noises will light you on fire.

HA HA

That is the best analagy for four strokes that I have ever heard !!!!!!!

:lol::banana::banana:

:banana:

I had a hell of a time trying to find a good used 2 stroke 125 when I was looking for my bike, none of the dealerships around here even had a brand new 2 stroke. I was kinda surprised, but it looks like a few more 2 strokes seem to be popping up on craigslist around here in the past few days.

woohoo! They're comin back! Everyone is finally startin to realize the cost of ownership!

It seemed like about a 50/50 split at the last HS/desert race here in UT. It sure seems like more and more 2ts are finding their way back to starting lines.

The starting lines are looking more and more like a ktm commercial around here.

One of my local shops says it's one of their most asked questions: "do you have any used 2006 or newer YZ250."

And they're not even a Yamaha dealership!

At our 1st mx national this year, a rookie won the MX2 class on a YZ250!!! Almost everyone else on 4t's. This was the 1st year of 250F vs 2502t on national level here. Also our highschool class is now only 125 2t which I think is great!