Sign in to follow this  

bought a kdx200 and need some advice

Just picked up a 04 kdx 220 and when i test rode it it seemed fine except for a slight hesitation mid range. when i got it home and was able to give it a better ride it is definitely boggy at low rpms but will stand right up 1/2 way through the power band. I went to clean the air cleaner and found the cover to the air box was missing. just wanted to know if that is some sort of modification ( I think the only mod on the bike is a gnarly gold pipe.) and what it would be doing to the performance of the bike. I will be cleaning the carb and replacing the plug and the usual maintenance but i was hoping to get some feed back on the air box cover and maybe some ideas on the bogging problem.

Thanks for any input you might have... Rich

Is it a flat sounding bog, like buuuuhhhhhhhhhhhh, or a sputtery/popping type of bog? Sounds like a lean or rich condition perhaps. You can try adjusting the airscrew in/out and see if that helps, but it's likely the bike needs to be jetted. You can check the kdx jetting database for info on what others are having success with.

Is it a flat sounding bog, like buuuuhhhhhhhhhhhh, or a sputtery/popping type of bog?

Definitely the buuuuhhhhhhhhhhhh. just when chugging through the tight stuff and when i want to lighten up the front with a quick snap it will bogg.

I will be cleaning the carb and checking the jets today. sounds like the air box lid is a non issue, i guess a lot of kdx riders take it off to let her breath a little better for some extra power...

Thanks for the help.

Sounds lean. Adjust air screw in or install a larger pilot or raise needle one notch (lower clip one notch on the needle). Try these things one at a time and see if any of them help.

A CEK or DEK needle will help with this too. It requires smaller jets to run, but provides more fuel sooner in the throttle range. It's a large improvement over the stock kawi needle.