Sign in to follow this  

Overheating?

Latley my 144 seems to be burning coolant. Each time i ride exhaust pukes out my rad cap hose. I tried running different mixes 60/40 50/50 or straight water nothing seems to help. What could it be?

also sounds to me like could be a problem with your rings. they're not seated right. was the top end apart recently? could also be your head gaskets are not aligned right.

Yes there is white smoke flowing out of the over flow tube... seems to be running really hot all the time and i need to keep filling the coolant. I have not had it apart since i have had it. The guy i bought it off said he had it jetted from a mechanic so im not sure if that could be it.

Is this after it's been running for a while or right after you first start it up? Sounds like a head gasket issue to me.

Yes there is white smoke flowing out of the over flow tube... seems to be running really hot all the time and i need to keep filling the coolant. I have not had it apart since i have had it. The guy i bought it off said he had it jetted from a mechanic so im not sure if that could be it.

check your head & cylinder gaskets.

Is it an Athena kit by any chance? I heard those are notorious for blowing head gaskets.

A blown head gasket allowing hot exhaust gasses into the system will cause overheating. Take the tank off, remove the spark plug and remove the cylinder head-frame mounting bolts. Then go ahead and remove the head, don't forget to collect all the washers under each bolt so that it doesn't fall off or worse yet into the cylinder.

Check your inner o-ring, they should look the same all the way around. If they are cracked, shrunk in some areas, or pinched then you know what your problem is.

A bad inner o-ring can cause coolant to come in to the cylinder, and can also cause exhaust gasses to go into the cooling system.

A bad rad cap can also cause what seems to be overheating.

also like shrub said, lean jetting can cause overheating sometimes.

Incorrect timing could cause overheating as well.

A few things to look at for sure, but you can start with the easy stuff like buying new jets (same size or stock, sometimes they get clogged causing a lean condition) or a new rad cap first. If you have a cap pressure tester then test it etc.

good luck

What can you do to assure this will not happen to your bike? I don't even like to think of my bike overheating.

Regular maintenance.

Kind of hard to prevent, it's usually just a wear and tear thing, gaskets wear out and when they do this is one of the many things that happen.

Flogging the bike on a really hot day is something that should be avoided. Yz's don't overheat regularily like their 4 stroke brothers, but when they do (because your riding it really hard) let it cool down. If your breather pukes coolant then let the bike cool down instead of riding it some more if you can. It's not a small burst of heat that causes problems, it's prolonged heat that does. Starts to warp head and jug surfaces, gaskets stop doing their job and things like this happens.

I've never overheated my bike, and never seen any of my brothers overheat theirs, but we don't usually ride them too hard when theirs little airflow (tight trails).

I've never overheated my bike, and never seen any of my brothers overheat theirs, but we don't usually ride them too hard when theirs little airflow (tight trails).

Or on mountainous steep grades with lean jetting exacerbated by the elevation and temperature you didn't expect combined with 32:1 jetting which provides less gas to cool the motor. :lol: The load applied to the seat didn't help either. :banana:

If your just blowing coolant out the overflow tube (ie you don't have white exhaust smoke). And you think it really is overheating it will probably be either your jetting (too lean) or your clutch is slipping, no problem if it's your left hand that's doin it more of a problem if it's worn, springs etc.

If the bike only overheats after a bit of riding and your coolant drops dramatically, fill the rads start it up go for just a little blast and check just under the water pump for drops, if there is a little coolant coming from a little drain there your waterpump seal is shot.

If there is white smoke comming from your silencer ignore all the above and dive into the gaskets mentioned by previous posters.

also sounds to me like could be a problem with your rings. they're not seated right. was the top end apart recently? could also be your head gaskets are not aligned right.

i have an rm 80 that smokes white also ...changed top head gasket cuz thought coolant was getting into cylinder? still no start:banghead:

but the compression seems low ...have no tester yet but kicker moves very easy with one finger :lol: could this be reason for not starting?

i have spark,fuel,air, good reeds ,new top head gasket .... still no start ..

and when i try it backfires and spits when i twist throttle to try and get it to start ....

any advice would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

mine is having the same problem but i have not even had a chance to ride it yet after putting the 144 on.