Sign in to follow this  

'93 dr650...is my cdi bad???

Greetings,

Got a '93 kickstart-only DR650. Ran fine, sat for 5 days, now no spark. Me and a motorcycle mechanic buddy of mine have checked the following and they're all good: ignition switch, engine kill switch, kickstand switch, ignition coil, plug caps, plugs, continuity of all wires and connectors, etc.

Took off the magneto cover to inspect and everything looks fine. We're getting voltage from the pick up coil (pulse coil) but still no spark. My mechanic friend said that while it's rare for CDI's to fail, this seems to be the only logical explanation left.

Does anyone have any advice or input on this? Suzuki wants over $300 for a new CDI and I was hoping to find a used one, but before I buy anything I'm really hoping to know for sure (or at least as sure as possible) that it is the CDI.

Please help!!!!!!!!

Thanks

hi comaldr,

the early DRs are known for some problems with the CDI. specially the SP44.

If you can get a used CDI, check it out.

Don´t buy a new one, search in ebay for a used box.

don´t know how it is in US - i guess there aren´t so many spare parts for the early DRs, but in germany (i´m from there) you can find them often. Price is between 75 and 125 €

hope i could help you.

best regards

Thanks, eisdieler!

What is SP44? Is that a part number for the CDI, or is it a model number for the bike?

Thanks,

Comaldr

One more question....Does anyone know if a cdi for a 1996-2010 DR650 will work on a 1993? If so, will all the wire connections match up?

Thanks!

SP44 is the model number of the bike

Yours should be SP44A (DR 650R ? -> fabricated in 93?). I have a SP44B (A for the US market and B for the european market)

The ´96 - models CDI won´t fit.

best regards