Sign in to follow this  

Rear Brake not working - Brand New Bike

Just finishing the FINAL pieces of putting my 09 DRZ400SM back together, and I noticed yesterday that upon re-installation of the back wheel (with new rotor), that the rear brake is no longer functioning. Spongy and no grab at all.

I did spread the pads apart to allow for easy installation of the rotor.

Also when the lever is depressed, the caliper is moving, but I don't think both pads are squeezing (only one).

The bike is BRAND NEW and has never been ridden.

My thoughts are:

1) Maybe one of the pistons is seized?

2) Maybe I did damage to the Master Cylinder spreading the pads?

It was working fine before but has quit all of a sudden.

I am thinking that perhaps spreading the brake pads may have seized one of the pistons, but is it possible to "unseize" them.

Any help or points in the right direction would be appreciated.:banana:

Hey, have you tried bleeding the breaks yet? I have had the same thing with my bikes but its always been a case of just bleeding them. Hope this helps

Bleed them. Check the res to make sure you didn't blow the seal when you spread the pads. Doubt you seized a piston doing that.

You did pump them up when you re-installed everything? Right? Pump the brake pedal with your hand about ten times and see if it firms up.

exactly what I was thinking...you need to build pressure in the system again.

there's only 1 piston back there so if caliper moves,it's not it.

pump the pedal a few times or you need to bleed.

there's only 1 piston back there so if caliper moves,it's not it.

pump the pedal a few times or you need to bleed.

hen

Yes, the caliper will move if there is only one live piston....most brakes require a few pumps of the hand or foot lever when you have spread the pads to re-install the rotor between the pads. I am betting it is a simple problem to fix.

You did pump them up when you re-installed everything? Right? Pump the brake pedal with your hand about ten times and see if it firms up.

+2 It takes a bit to pump them back up, it'll make you wonder but then suddenly BAM you're back in business.

Good luck!

Thanks guys :banana:

You were right ... had to pump the pedal a LOT (about 30-40 times) and now its firmed up again. :banana::banana:

Love those ZERO costs fixes :lol:

I like to also spin the wheel when I pump the brake, to build pressure back up. Not sure if it helps any, other than letting me know when the brake is finally building stopping power pressure. :banana:

Glad you got it fixed.

btw, I'm willing to bet that there a bunch of guys who have done exactly what you have done, only without pumping them back up before they ride, only to grab the brakes for the first time on a ride and think "****!"