Sign in to follow this  

For the big guys... recommended Spring rate for 230 lb rider?

I did a search on this forum and didn't come up with much, so asking here... I am having my forks revalved/rebuilt this week at a local shop, and he can order any brand springs that I wish. What I would like to know if what spring rate should I go with, 46kg, 48, 50, etc...

I race some enduros and hare scrambles, and do a bit of motocross riding. I bottom out my forks on any decent-sized jump, so I would like a progressive spring that still absorbs the small stuff for trail riding, but can hold up to some abuse on the track.

What would you big & tall guys recommend, and what brands do you like?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I am 225# and use a 48kg spring. Suits me perfectly on the trails with roots, whoops and drop offs. No bottoming and is still plush enough for my style. It's JUST RIGHT. :banana: The guys at RG3 did my suspension so I don't know who made the spring. Covered in mud right now so I couldn't even have a look.

Thanks, I figured 48kg would be about right... are you referring to rear spring rate or front fork springs?

I did a search on this forum and didn't come up with much, so asking here... I am having my forks revalved/rebuilt this week at a local shop, and he can order any brand springs that I wish. What I would like to know if what spring rate should I go with, 46kg, 48, 50, etc...

I race some enduros and hare scrambles, and do a bit of motocross riding. I bottom out my forks on any decent-sized jump, so I would like a progressive spring that still absorbs the small stuff for trail riding, but can hold up to some abuse on the track.

What would you big & tall guys recommend, and what brands do you like?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Your suspension tuner should know this answer. Depending on his tuning/valving philosophy, he may want it a little stiff, a little soft, etc.

Try the www.racetech.com springrate calculator.

Change both front and rear!!

I'm 6'5" 225-230lbs and I'm running .50 fronts and 6.0 rear with a revalve and it is about perfect for trail/desert riding, still bottom slightly on big hits and hard g-out landings, but it's not a moto bike, so I deal with it.

I'm using factory connection springs, reccomended by my suspension tuner

The Precision Concepts prescription for my weight of 220 and riding style is .48 springs in the forks and 5.8 in the rear. Best suspension I've ever had.

Thanks, I figured 48kg would be about right... are you referring to rear spring rate or front fork springs?

the fork. Like a few others, I have the 5.8 spring in the rear. I'm kind of in between that and a 6.0. Since I ride enduro/woods stuff and rarely leave the ground, I went on the softer side so that I could use up more travel and stick in the turns better.

235# .49front and 6.0rear works good for most az. desert,single track