Sign in to follow this  

i might actually kill myself?

ok, so here's the deal. i'm almost 16, 1.74-75 meters, and weigh 70 kgs (pretty buffed guy:D)...i may trade my '08 85 sx which is way too small for me with an '07 crf450r...i wasn't doing so much riding with the 85, just a bit of trails and open field. do you think that a 450 is way too big for me? (i just want to take it easy at first, then get used to it and after that ride it good...) :banana:

by the way: what years of crf-r should i NOT get?

judging your height and weight, I'd suggest a CRF250 first. the jump to a 450 is a bit bigger than you think, however it also depends on how much experience you've got.

have a ride on a 450 and see how you handle it, you'll soon make up your mind. having that extra power is no substitute for ease of handling and control that you'd get on a 250.

450 is way too much, Stick to the 250 you will have much more fun and it will teach you to be a better rider.

You'd be better off with a 250, although it all depends on how often you buy a new bike, 2 years from now you may want that bit off extra power that only a 450 could give ya... it kinda depends on how deep your pockets are. :banana:

thanks for all responses guys...i forgot to say that the 450 belongs to my uncle and right now he's looking for an 80-85cc bike for his kid. The deal might be ok because [being a family member:D] i wouldn't have to pay so much price difference...oh, btw..does the 450 need more maintainence than the 250f? and if yes, at what time do i have to make valve-adjustments, change oil/air filter etc. [if i'm not pulling the lungs of the bike out]:banana:

You'd be better off with a 250, although it all depends on how often you buy a new bike, 2 years from now you may want that bit off extra power that only a 450 could give ya... it kinda depends on how deep your pockets are. :banana:

the next bike i buy will have to last me for some 3-4 years...i'm not doin' any pro motocross, just a bit of trails and open-field riding :lol:

id say 450 being that ur uncle already owns it and u to could rather just switch to take sum of the cash outta it...07 is a great bike and maintaince on a 450 is much better then that of a 250...250fs u may have a tendancy to run it higher in the rpm range, maybe even hit the limiter and shorten the life of the valves.. with a 450 ur rarely that high in the rpm range (unless ur pro lol) so there fore whatever u throw at it will be easy...

another reason y i say 450 is because u mentioned ur doin open field riding/ trails in which case the extra weight probably wont affect u too much

id say 450 being that ur uncle already owns it and u to could rather just switch to take sum of the cash outta it...07 is a great bike and maintaince on a 450 is much better then that of a 250...250fs u may have a tendancy to run it higher in the rpm range, maybe even hit the limiter and shorten the life of the valves.. with a 450 ur rarely that high in the rpm range (unless ur pro lol) so there fore whatever u throw at it will be easy...

another reason y i say 450 is because u mentioned ur doin open field riding/ trails in which case the extra weight probably wont affect u too much

..you're right, anw, thank you very much:)...still...before i get the bike i will have to take a couple of short rides on it just to see how it handles:D

When I was a teenager, I sold my 86 cr80 and had intentions of buying a 125. My older brother told me to save my money because I could ride his CR500 any time I wanted. He wasn't around much so I rode it all the time. Long story made short, I did just fine. I had a blast on it. Just remember that a big bike like that can kill you very easily and to respect it. I didn't dink around on the 500, I learned to ride in slow increments. I got to where I could ride wheelies for nearly a half a mile. I trail rode it mostly too and some of the trails were extremely technical. I actually had worse crashes on my 80 then I ever did on the 500 because I always had that fear of the 500 and what it could do to me. You will do fine on the 450, just respect it and learn to ride it incrementally and don't try to jump an 80 foot triple on it after only a couple rides.

nice:)you are right, psychologicly speaking, there are more chances for someone to crash badly on a bike having smaller cc's, due to less of...let's say, "fear" [but i'm not assuming a 450 is safer than a 250..no way...:banana:] it actually depends on the rider..

judging your height and weight, I'd suggest a CRF250 first. the jump to a 450 is a bit bigger than you think, however it also depends on how much experience you've got.

have a ride on a 450 and see how you handle it, you'll soon make up your mind. having that extra power is no substitute for ease of handling and control that you'd get on a 250.

x2.......................

Dont make decisions based on random opinions you get on the internet. Ride it and decide for yourself.

x2.......................

just like LEMMON1 and frdbtr said, i don't neccesarily have to throttle the bike till i pull the lungs out of it and crash [and i won't, because i'm not the guy to do that...at least the first days of riding, untill i get used to it:thumbsup:] :banana:

I'm 16, I'm 5"3 of medium build and I can ride a CRF250 no probs with forks at full wack. But I really wouldn't want to go any higher right now and going from my old 85 two stroke to the CRF450 may well have killed me or some of my passion for MX. You just won'y use the full power which means the weight will just be a burden. It's a good swap financially as you could sell it etc, but I would'nt want to try and ride it.:banana: