Sign in to follow this  

02 KX85 engine noise

my engine makes a howling or whining noise. My nephew crashed yesterday and after it the engine sounded different. Bike starts right up, hasnt lost any power but has what I call a whining noise. Also after the crash he was riding and the bike just died. It did that once and then ran great the rest of the day. Any advice?

Same thing happened to me, and it seemed to lose bottom end power. Anybody know what that noise could be? It still makes like a gear whine, independent of gear or clutch.

How did he crash and what on the bike hit the ground? Any signs of damage to the radiators or the pipe?

Check the front engine mount bolts.My sons came loose twice and they make this god awful metalic howling noise. Put lock tight on them and over torque and there good to go

Whining can also mean mains, so if checking the mounts over doesn't resolve anything, you might have main bearings starting to go....Any idea on hours on the bottom end? A hard hit from a crash can damage a bearing that is just at the minimum edge of "in spec".

Oh and another thing we have had happen is the breather tube and /or nipple on top of the head by the powervalve has came out on occasion.We had to glue our back in after we had the cylinder re-plated.

We found out what was causing my noises. The whine developed into a full blown knock. Lower rod bearing was bad, not in the center of the crank but if you pushed the rod to the side, the clearance was much greater. Luckily we found it before it let go.

We found out what was causing my noises. The whine developed into a full blown knock. Lower rod bearing was bad, not in the center of the crank but if you pushed the rod to the side, the clearance was much greater. Luckily we found it before it let go.

All cranks have some side clearance. It's the radial or up and down movement that's bad.