Sign in to follow this  

Wheel bearing question

My rear wheel has a little bit of play in it, side to side, I was wondering how to pull out the wheel bearings and check them maybe grease them up, otherwise i'll just buy new bearings.

If your rear wheel has play in it, you need to replace the bearings. Use the search function for how to do a wheel bearing replacement job.

I think a slide hammer should help you get them out, then just replace them.

Can anybody explain a how to of removing wheel bearings or link me to it, I tried searching and looked through about 50 threads and couldn't find a how to.

Can anybody explain a how to of removing wheel bearings or link me to it, I tried searching and looked through about 50 threads and couldn't find a how to.

Try your own problem solving.... Just pull the wheel off / remove the "C" clip on one side. I use a 1/2" steel bar about 14" long to hammer the bearing out from the other side. Just move the steel bar around as you hit the bar LIGHTLY............

I use a aluminum bar as it is less likely to damage other parts if there is a miss hit on the bearing. Important rule is to knock it out evenly, in other words dont hit it on one side only as it will bind on the housing. The same goes for putting it back in.

If you can find a tube or socket tool (usually the size that takes off your rear axle nut is close) that matches out bearing race that is best for knocking it back in again as it gives even pressure around the bearing while knocking it in. It is important to only hit on the outter race of the bearing when putting it back in. When you knock it out it does not really matter if you hit it on the inner race as it is damaged anyway.

When you have the wheel off you can check the bearings on either side and you should be able to figure out which is the one with play. The bearings usually wear from water ingress as it mixes with the bearing grease.

The bearing is usually a standard size so you can save a few $ by getting a replacement from a local bearing supplier and not the dealer.

If the bearing has no play but just no lube you can refurbish, it but it takes a little bit of gentle prying with a very small flat screw driver to pop out the seal. If you are gentle you will not damage the seal and be able to lube it up and put the seal back in. Pry it off where the seal and inner race meet.