Sign in to follow this  

how tight should my cam chain be?

i just picked up a 02 crf450r and I'm trying to get it running. after pulling the valve cover i discovered the cam chain was very loose, the timing was off, and the plastic chain guide was broken. I've read the tensioner on this model can back off and cause the cam gear to jump and throw the timing off and possibly ruin the valves, and or piston. I'm not sure if the tensioner is any good or not. if you turn it counter clockwise it move outward and stays but i dont know what it is supposed to do when working properly. i reset the timing and put the tensioner on as tight as it would go and there is still a lot of play in the cam chain, could the cam chain be stretched out or the tensioner not working properly? How tight should the cam chain be? I'm a poor 22 year old and cant afford to replace parts that arent broken. ant help would be greatly appreciated.

yes your tensioner is broken. when you turn it out with a screwdriver and let go it is supposed to spring back. Get a manual cam chain tensioner. also get new guides if it is broken. you also could go to ebay and get good used ones for a good price. Oh you can make a manual cam chain tensioner out of the stock one. do a search there are posts on how to do it. Oh if your poor a 4 stroke is not the bike to own. Get it running sell it and get a 2 stroke.